7.6 - Secrets

Several weeks had passed since winter break, and even though Regulus had assured that he was alright, he had been distant and detached from Ophelia. She had tried to get him to talk about what was so clearly bothering him, but he insisted that he was fine every single time. 

Ophelia mostly ignored it, knowing Regulus was unlikely to tell her anything more than he had, but sometimes it was practically impossible to push away. 

As the seventh years had their NEWT exams coming up, most of the students spent their last few months of school cramming for the evaluations.

During their free period, Ophelia, Pandora, and Regulus decided to study in the library for their History of Magic NEWTs.

They had taken a nice table near the back left corner of the library. Ophelia and Regulus sat next to each other and Pandora sat across from them on the wall side, same as Ophelia.

"I think we should organise all the notes in a chronological order, because then we'll remember things based on a snowball effect instead of trying to remember all these random things." Ophelia proposed as she and her friends tried to find the perfect way to study.

"Lia, this whole course is random things." Regulus said. "It's one of the worst in the school, I'm not too worried about organising notes for it."

"So we'll go with my idea, then." Ophelia said with a sweet smile. 

"Sure." Regulus agreed. "Plus, Professor Binns is dreadfully boring, so it's not unlikely the exam will be in that order, too."

The three of them started studying by combining their notes from past lessons and ordering them chronologically by events in the lesson. Once they had everything ordered, they started their studying. 

They got to magic in the middle ages, and started their notes on Emeric the Evil, an old wizard who was loyal to the Dark Arts. 

Out of nowhere to Ophelia and Pandora, Regulus commented on the man's title. 

"Do you ever find it odd that we call him evil?" He asked. 

"What?" Ophelia and Pandora chuckled in confusion at the same time. 

"Do you ever find it odd that we can give that title to someone who lived a millennium ago?"

"Reggie, he practiced the Dark Arts." Ophelia said. 

"A millennium ago. And we still study him."

"A thousand years is not that long ago, when you think about it. And even if it was, it's the Dark Arts, not much has changed." 

Ophelia sighed, but she was cut off by Regulus continuing his argument. 

"But we don't know how or why he turned." He stated. "You know, what if he was pressured? Or what if morals were just different back then?"

Ophelia and Pandora lightly giggled again, not knowing how to respond. 

"I mean, how much could morals really change?" Pandora inquired. 

Regulus shrugged in a flustered, upset manner. "What if in a thousand years, I'm known as a villain? Or even a hundred? Morals really do change all the time."

"Oh, come on." Ophelia said, placing her hand on Regulus' shoulder. "You're not a villain. In fact, you may be known as a hero. Regulus the Ravishing." 

She smiled at her quick alliteration, but Regulus didn't seem impressed. 

"Or rotten." He muttered, but the girls pretended to ignore it.