2.5 - Silver Snake

Winter break had just ended, and all of the Hogwarts students were on their way back to school. Ophelia had a much better break than the previous year. She had learned her lesson and spoke highly of Regulus, while still avoiding the topic of friends altogether.

Plus, James had begun to ease up with his need to protect his little sister. After Ophelia had told him that Regulus was on the Slytherin Quidditch team — but left out everything about Regulus getting into any sort of trouble — James had decided he should stay out of Ophelia's social life when he didn't need to interfere.

James had let Ophelia walk around Platform Nine and Three Quarters all alone if she wanted. He had let her do it before, but this time it was out of true belief that she was ready instead of just wanting to head off with his own friends. 

Once she boarded the train, Ophelia skipped down the aisle of the Hogwarts Express, excited to see Regulus again. Once she saw him, she could feel a nervous rush of butterflies start to flutter around in her stomach.

"Regulus!" She said when she caught up to him. "How was your break?"

"It was good." He said, then turning to actually look at Ophelia. "And seeing how jittery you look, yours was good as well, I presume?"

"Yes, very good." Ophelia told him as she dug around in her bag, looking for a small box she had buried in the bottom. Her face lit up even more than it was already when she felt the box in her hand and pulled it out to show him.

"What?" Regulus asked her when he saw that grin plastered across her face as she held up a small box. 

"Open it." She said excitedly.

He accepted the box and opened it curiously. The box contained a silver chain necklace, with one link shaped like a tiny snake. 

"Isn't it adorable?" Ophelia asked. "I bought it over the break because it reminds me of you!"

"If this is a way of thanking me for that ring, you don't need to." Regulus said.

"No, it's just adorable and it would look so good on you. It doesn't mean anything."

"So, if it doesn't mean anything, you would be fine if I just never wore it?"

"Well, I'm giving it to you, and then you have to wear it because it's a gift." Ophelia beamed.

"I'm not wearing this." Regulus said as he took the chain and undid the clasp. 

Regulus struggled with the clasp of the necklace, his fingers trying but failing at locking the chain around his neck.

"Here." Ophelia offered. "Let me help with that."

Regulus placed the necklace in Ophelia's delicate hands, and she stepped behind him. Her fingers brushed the back of his neck and lightly skimmed through a lock of his soft, dark hair. She laced the necklace around his neck, carefully locking the clasp of the chain. 

"Thank you." Regulus said. "It is a nice piece of jewelry."

"I told you." Ophelia said with a smile. "You're welcome."