78. True ally

Right after the dinner Levi and Sophie approached Erwin, pulling him to the side. "What's going on?" He asked right away. After everything that happened between them it would be odd for them to make a friendly conversation without a reason. Because of his previous behaviour and suspicions Erwin ruined any chance for a friendship and he knew that well. Thus he also knew they had to have a reason to approach him like this.

"We need to talk," Levi said curtly and right after that Erwin invited them to his room, curious about the possible topic of their conversation.

"Did Eric come back?" He asked, trying to guess what it was about. He usually waited for people to speak up before he jumped into any conclusion, he didn't like to appear as too curious. He didn't want people to find out what he was thinking about. But right now he didn't feel like playing around. No, he really hoped for Eric to come back. He was their only chance for finding the best solution without playing guesses. Erwin didn't want to play guesses when it came to this particular war. The stake was far too big.

He was thinking about it a lot during that day, his thoughts involuntarily drifting to the reasons of his new tactic, of his stalling of making decisions. Yes, part of him behaved like this because of Eren and how greatly he disappointed him. But the other part of him started to believe that it was because of Eric. Before he met Eric he was all by himself, he had to think about all of the possibilities and try to figure out the outcomes of them. Right now he didn't have to. He knew a man who could travel both in time and universes and that man was willing to cooperate with him. He suspected that it made him lazy. Furthermore, it made him doubt his own judgement because what if that man knew a better solution? He didn't believe in the alternative realities before, so he didn't have to worry about other solutions, thinking that the one he partook was the correct one no matter the outcome. Now his view of that completely changed and he didn't know yet how to find himself in that. Not to mention that back in Paradis he could pay a lot of attention to his opponents, observing their habits, behaviours and reactions. It improved his judgement, it helped him make the right call. He couldn't do the same in Marley, having very limited access to his new enemies.

"No, he didn't," Sophie quickly gaslighted his hopes.

"Then what is it about?" Erwin asked, mildly interested. He thought that they couldn't surprise them in any way right now. Because what could be surprising? What could make a bigger impact on his leadership and their cause if it wasn't Eric that came back?

"Nathalie found a solution for Sophie's rage," Levi said, keeping his words simple.

Erwin's eyes widened a bit as he heard that. At first he even thought that he misheard them. Not that he didn't believe in doctor Burgess' abilities, on the contrary actually, but he didn't expect her to find the cure so quickly. Moreover, he didn't expect her to achieve that before Eric would come back. "It's confirmed?" He had to ask about that. He didn't want to get involved in that too soon, especially having a whole goddamn war to plan out. He just had to make sure that whatever Nathallie came up with, it was tested.

"Yeah, she ran tests,"

"That's great. I'm happy for you," he said politely and they slightly cringed, feeling that it was rather what was right to say than a genuine reaction. He didn't care about the change on their face as he continued. "Will that solution allow us to use your skills or will it deprive you from it?" He asked as he looked at Sophie and Levi had to stop himself from smirking as he saw that coming. There it was. He was back to being commander rather than friend. That was what they actually needed him to do.

"We don't know. That medicine has an effect on Levi," Sophie shifted uncomfortably, saying these words really quietly which caught Erwin's attention right away. He also caught the moment of her averting Levi's eyes, looking ashamed, guilty even. Then they repeated everything that Nathalie told them about the medication, explaining how it would affect Levi.