9. Truce, not trust

Silence accompanied them as they walked back to their house. No one dared to start a conversation even when they entered inside. They were all exhausted and overwhelmed with how the events turned out. Only Isabel seemed to be in need of conversation but she knew better to not say a word. Furlan's facial expression convinced her about it. If she saw the serious structure only on Levi's face she wouldn't care, he was always serious and cold on the surface. With Furlan things were usually different, so it spoke for itself. She didn't even dare to look at Sophie who was clearly still in shock, processing through the events.

"Let's go to sleep" Furlan whispered, caressing her back. She slightly nodded and followed him to their room leaving Levi and Isabel alone. As soon as the door shut Isabel sat on a counter and observed Levi as he was making himself tea.

"Make one for me too" she said.

"No"

"Eh? Why not?" she pouted her lips and crossed her arms in response.

"It's rare and it's not cheap. Find it for yourself" he said as he poured boiling water into a mug.

"Fine" she growled and got back on the floor, walking away to the couch. She jumped on it with a loud noise and covered herself with a blanket. It was her place to sleep, they didn't come up with another bed for her yet so it had to be enough for now. She didn't complain though, it was far better than what she had before. Levi sat on the armchair next to her and placed his mug on the table. Isabel looked at it curiously.

"Don't even dare" he said like if he read her mind. She got slightly offended and grunted silently but listened.

"Can you at least bring me something to drink?"

"Tsk, you were in the kitchen. You could do it yourself"

"Bro!" she cried out and started arguing with him whether she should get up or he should make an exception and bring her a drink. Their little argument got interrupted by Furlan who quietly left his room.

"Hey, guys?" he said, making them stop talking and look at him with question in their eyes. "Sophie has trouble to fall asleep" he explained, brushing his hair awkwardly. "I thought that maybe a drink would help. Would you mind bringing something in?" he asked and immediately regretted doing so when he saw Levi's eye roll. "Or forget it. I can do it myself" as he headed towards kitchen Levi stood up.

"No, go to her. She needs you. Here, take it" he handed him his mug and Furlan blinked a few times in surprise. "What are you looking at? I didn't spit in there"

"No, no" he quickly said as he took a mug from him. "I just...thank you" he ended the sentence, looking at his friend who nodded at him. They weren't now as close as they used to be so the fact that Levi gave his own beverage to help Furlan comfort his girlfriend meant a lot. He took a mug and got back to their room, closing the door behind and Levi sat back on the armchair.

"And you didn't want to share it with me" Isabel shook her head, acting offended to  make fun of him, but didn't continue when she saw that he didn't respond to that. He was deep in his thoughts. "What are you thinking about Levi-bro?"

"I'm thinking how we're going to explain that to Ben" he sighed, massaging his temple, it was helping him to relieve stress.

"Oh, that will be hard"

"Yeah, no shit?" he rolled his eyes and got back to thinking. He was trying to come up with an explanation but he was failing and even with Isabel's help he couldn't make a good excuse which started to worry him about Ben's possible reaction to the news.

﹡﹡✹﹡﹡

When they headed for a meeting with their boss next morning to bring the news to him they were in sepulchral mood, kind of afraid of Ben's possible reaction. Even Isabel was slightly worried for that confrontation, not knowing what to expect. When they got to the south part of the city where he usually was they were leaded to his office by his guards. He was sitting by his desk not doing anything, clearly waiting for them. Sophie bit her lip in guilt thinking about that delivery. How could they possibly explain her behaviour? She was thinking about that a lot in the last few hours, trying to predict Ben's reaction and prepare a good response to any possibile words from his side. She hoped that he'll react in a way that she thought about, otherwise she'll be caught off guard, cornered and without any idea how to save Furlan, Levi and Isabel from Ben's anger. They have never seen him angry though. That's why it was hard to predict the train of events. It would be slightly easier if Levi agreed to let her talk, but no. He wanted to tell Ben about it himself, he was downright adamant about it, only making it harder for her.