69. Interrogation

Erwin went back to his tent with Yelena who was still very calm, almost unbothered by the whole situation. It was something different than Erwin has ever seen. Usually people that were captured were all shaking, terrified that they might lose their life. But not her. Her breath was steady, Erwin could tell by the way her chest was slowly moving up and down. Her eyes focused on him and were rather joyful than hopeful. Truly intriguing. He thought that her willingness to cooperate with them was just an act, a desperate attempt to save her life. But if it truly was she would still be afraid, uncertain about their reception, whether it would work on them or not. Moreover, she wouldn't tell them that there was a medic amongst the Marleyans. She wouldn't order that person to go and try to help Mike. She would simply do nothing. Or would she? Was it really just her gambling, trying to bargain her help for life? It was possible. Heck, if it was anyone else Erwin would probably believe his own suspicions. But that woman was so different. It made him want to believe that it was something bigger behind her behaviour.

She was waiting for him to say something with an amused smile on her lips that only made him more astonished. "You said that you and your people can help here," he said slowly, searching her face for any kind of reaction, but her expression remained exactly the same much to his aggravation. "How exactly?"

"Well, commander," she smiled even wider at him, finally revealing more emotions. For a moment Erwin was thinking that maybe muscles in her face were paralyzed making her unable to change her expression. It would explain the lack of change in it, but now his guess got verified. It was so hard to read her. "What do you think?"

"It's not the time to play guesses," he returned the smile just to polish his appearance, but Yelena didn't fall for that, seeing exactly how annoyed he was with her answer.

"You're absolutely right, my apologies," she bowed her head and returned to her previous pose. She looked like a statue - tall and slim, with no visible scars. Almost as if she had never experienced a real fight. "I must admit - I was waiting for this moment for a long time, thinking how advanced you are, how much you managed to discover," she confessed, which puzzled Erwin and made him want to listen to her more. "I would love to hear about it all,"

"Sadly for you I am the one asking questions here," he said and she nodded curtly, accepting it even though he could swear she looked disappointed. "But I might discuss some things with you if you'll prove yourself to be useful," he added, making her smile again. He felt like an insecure boy, trying to examine all of the woman's emotions that she was capable of, trying to make himself able to read her mind. It was stupid, yet she had that effect on him for a reason he couldn't find yet.

"No need to fool me, commander. We both know that you wouldn't trust me enough to share anything significant and I don't need to hear about your equipment, no offence. The beast titan - Zeke stole it from one of your comrades,"

"Very insightful," he admitted. He leaned closer in a desperate attempt to read her, hoping that it would help. Alas, it didn't. He was on his own here. Hearing her talk like this made him realise that she wasn't a gambler. She was too self-aware. Was it possible that he met someone as reasonable and quick-witted as he was? Just the possibility was filling him with various emotions - from excitement to concern. "How did you know that?" He realised there was no point in further pretending that he would share some information with her just as the reward for mere cooperation. He wouldn't fool her. He was just curious about her answer.

She seemed to be content about his attitude as she became visibly more relaxed. "No one would really decide to give the enemy important information that they don't know yet. The outcome could be too bad to risk it. Well, at least no one smart would do it,"