Snow Storm | Laszlo Kreizler

I was on my way to Dr. Laszlo Kreizler's home from Harvard University. I was lucky enough to be offered an apprentice position at the Kreizler Institute through my studies of psychology and medicine. But that apprenticeship would not begin until late spring and it was only January. I had called the Doctor on a particular section of homework that was difficult for me; I asked if he could assist me in my studies. He agreed but not until after he had left the Institute for the evening. So I was in the current predicament of fighting my way through snowy streets, bitter cold, and near blizzard conditions. I tried for a cab but it was near impossible getting one in this weather. Eventually I reached the Doctor's doorstep and rand the doorbell. 

A few moments passed before the front door was opened by the enormously tall, Cyrus Montrose. I had seen him often during my various visits to the Kreizler Institute to fill out the apprenticeship paperwork. "Good evening, y/n. Come in where it's warm. It looks as if you walked all the way here from the University." He said. "Actually, I have." I said with a slight laugh as I entered the toasty home. The heat had already started to melt the snow that covered my jacket and boots. "Allow me." He said as he took my jacket for me and placed it on a coat rack. "Thank you, Cyrus." I said before he lead me into the sitting room where Dr. Kreizler was waiting on me. We said our hellos before he suggested that we go over to his office upstairs. 

Once we entered his office we sat down and I explained what I was having difficulty with. He grabbed a few psychology books from his shelves before he started helping me. Cyrus brought coffee up for us when I started feeling tired. I wasn't even sure what time it was, but I knew it was dark outside. It was almost dark when I arrived. Two pots of coffee later, I finally finished my homework. "Thank you, Dr. Kreizler. I really appreciate your help. I know you're a busy man." I said as I started gathering my things. "There's no need to thank me, y/n. It's my pleasure to help a student following the same educational path as I have. Besides, you'll be my apprentice after all come spring. I want you to understand and learn all you possibly can. In time to come you might even teach me a thing or two." He said with a small smile on his handsome face. 

I admit to being slightly intimidated by him when we first met, but In really warmed up to him. He really was a kind person; it was understandable why the children at his Institute adored him so much. Not only did he have a brilliant mind but a big heart as well. I only hoped that I would be able to make him proud during my apprenticeship. The two of us walked downstairs and back into the sitting room. "Cyrus, please take y/n back to campus. I doubt the weather has improved much." Dr. Kreizler said when Cyrus had walked into the room. "That's what I came to talk to you about, Doctor. It seems that the snow storm has brought all travel to a stop. The snow is too deep for any carriage to get through." He said. Knowing I wouldn't be able to return to my dormitory that night worried me a little, especially since my belongings were there. I didn't have clothes or anything for me to spend the night at Dr. Kreizler's home. 

The Doctor and I glanced at each other for a moment before looking outside. The gas lamps in the street revealed a snow packed road and very beautiful Stuyvesant park on the other side. He told Cyrus to make up one of the extra beds and to find me some clothes I could borrow. "It's very kind of you to let me stay, thank you." I said, breaking the silence that followed. "There's no need to thank me. No one should he out in that weather." He replied as we moved away from the window. I sat down on the couch while he sat in an armchair. I was very glad that fireplace was warm. The glow from the flames was relaxing and I started to calm down about being stuck here. I then felt very lucky, because there's a lot of homeless people out on those cold snowy streets tonight. Thoughts like that always makes me wish I could help all of those without a place to call home. 

But I knew I didn't have the money to help them. And that made me angry at those such as the Vanderbilt's who have so much money they buy useless junk. I pressed my thoughts to the back of my mind when Cyrus entered the room with a tray of food for each of us to enjoy. I thanked him and ate the delicious food he had made. The two of us enjoyed the warmth of the fire for a while before retiring for the night. I thanked Dr. Kreizler for everything he had done for me this evening before going to bed. I changed into a pair of pajamas before climbing into bed. I laid awake for a while before I eventually drifted off to sleep. The next morning I woke up and found myself in a foreign bedroom. It took a moment for me to remember last night. 'I'm at Dr. Kreizler's home.' I said inside of my head. 

I got out of bed and took a bath before getting dressed. The clothes I had borrowed were a little big on me, but comfortable nonetheless. After I was dressed I looked outside and saw that the roads were still full of snow; it looked worse than it had last night. 'How long will I have to stay here?' I wondered as I walked downstairs. The smell of food and freshly brewed coffee filled my senses. It lead me right into the kitchen were Cyrus was cooking. Dr. Kreizler was sitting at the table reading a newspaper. When I looked closer I saw that it was yesterday's issue of the New York Times. "The food smells delicious." I said, catching their attention. "Thank you. I hope you enjoy it." Cyrus replied with a small smile. "How did you sleep?" The Doctor asked me curiously. "Very well, thank you." I replied with a small smile. I asked if I could get myself a cup of coffee and both of them said yes. As I was pouring myself a cup, the telephone rang. 

Dr. Kreizler answered it, and I could hear some of his conversation. He was talking so someone named Stevie. I took my cup and sat down at the table, taking a sip of the piping hot liquid. "Stevie use to live here. He and I shared the duties around the house before he turned eighteen and moved out. He owns a tobacco shop now." Cyrus said as he set a plate full of food down in front of me, and I thanked him. I started eating the delicious food. A few moments later him and the Doctor joined me. "Stevie said that the roads weren't going to be passable until later today of everything goes to plan. Apparently one of his friends got in touch with him earlier this morning." Dr. Kreizler said as the three of us ate breakfast. Even though the roads were going to be cleared out, my future mentor assured me that I could stay at his home as long as I wanted to. I thanked him and I was looking forward to being his apprentice soon. 

+++++++++++++++++++++

A/N: Thanks for reading! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3