Paying Respects | Helmut Zemo - Part 8

Months passed without Sam, Bucky, and Zemo around. It was so quiet and I wasn't sure if I'd ever get use to it. I thought that it was really strange because I was use to being alone before they started staying with me. The hardest part was not hearing from either one of them. Not a single phone call, text message, or letter. But I guess they didn't wanna be tracked or traced. And I'm sure that I'd be in danger if they made contact with me. So I just tried to not think about them, especially Zemo. Every time I thought about him I just ended up feeling alone and heartbroken. But looking at the heart shaped locket he gave me helped relive some of the heartache. I just wished that all three of them were safe and unhurt. I tried to press my thoughts to the back of my mind as I made dinner. It was hard though, because I tended to miss Zemo a lot at night. 'It's okay Y/n. You'll get to see all of them again someday.' I said inside of my head. Once I was finished cooking there was a knock on the door. The sound kinda gave me anxiety because I hadn't had visitors in what felt like forever. I walked over to the door and looked through the peephole. To my surprise I saw Sam and Bucky standing there. I opened the door and let them in. I offered them something to eat and drink. The three of us talked about their time away from my little apartment.

I told them that I was glad to see them again. To me it felt like forever since I last seen them. In my defense it was three months. "So... where is Zemo? Did he not come along with you guys?" I asked after we had finished eating dinner. The two of them exchanged a look that I didn't like. My heart beat quickened and worry filled my veins. "Y/n, I want you to know that you were on his thoughts all the time." Sam said with what looked like sympathy in his eyes. "He never shut up about you. But it wasn't really annoying because the two of us missed you too." Bucky added with a cautious look as he glanced at Sam again. "Zemo... Zemo didn't make it." Sam said. He kept talking but I didn't hear a single word. It felt like whole world came to a sudden stop. My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach, and my mind started racing. "No. No. He... he can't be gone. He can't. He promised that he'd come back to me and...." I said, trailing off because I couldn't speak anymore. Tears filled my eyes and streamed down my face. I wished that Zemo would come through the door with all of my being. I wished that he'd be wearing his silly mask with his furry coat, and all of this would be a bad dream. But that never happened. The door remained closed and my insides continued to hurt. My whole body seemed to ache. "Hey, it's okay. Come here." Sam said as he got up and sat next to me. He gave me a tight hug that I returned. Then Bucky hugged me.

Both of them were very kind and sweet. They stayed for a while and made sure I was feeling better before they left. Both of them offered to stay, but I said they didn't have to. I didn't wanna force them to stick around because I was heartbroken. I didn't think that they needed or wanted to be around just to babysit me. All I really wanted was Zemo. 'He is gone Y/n. You can't bring back the dead.' I said inside of my head. I slowly changed into my pajamas and was bat to go to bed when there was a light knock on my window. 'What is that?' I wondered. Deep down I thought it was just an animal or something. So I just kinda ignored it. But then after it happened a few times I couldn't help but check and see what it was. I cautiously opened the windows and almost screamed when I saw a person standing in the fire escape. It was basically just a dark figure. "It's me, Y/n! Open the window for me please." A familiar, yet muffled voice said. At first I thought it was Sam or Bucky just because all I could tell that it was a male voice. It was familiar, so I opened the window. I gasped when I saw the mask and the long coat he was wearing. But when he took the mask off I literally jumped into his arms. I wrapped my legs around him and he held onto me. He let out a deep chuckle next to my ear that made me feel things. "I've missed you so much." He said before peppering my neck and collarbone with soft kisses. I felt like my heart was going to explode from happiness.

He sat down on my bed but kept me in his lap. "Sam and Bucky were just here. They said that.... they said that you were dead." I said. A part of me though that maybe he was a fragment of my imagination. "That's because I had to fake my death. Not even they know that I'm actually alive and well." He replied. He nuzzled his nose against mine before capturing my lips with his. We gently kissed each other for a while before I got off of his lap. He took his jacket off to be more comfortable. Eventually we got into bed and cuddled as we talked. We didn't end up falling asleep until three in the morning. It felt so good to have him back even if no one else knew he was alive. But I knew that someone would eventually end up finding out. So I knew that I needed to make sure to make every second I had with him count.

++++++++++++++++++++
A/N: Thanks for reading!! Remember to vote, comment, share, etc. :) <3