Tis The Damn Season

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Of course Sirius would get Oxford educated only to open a chain of bars."

"It's worked out pretty well for him. He's looking into starting his own liquor line now but you've got to keep that mum."

"Who would I tell?" Lily scoffed. "These days I'm mostly holed up in my apartment alone."

An unfortunately true fact. In America where she was now based most of the year, the paparazzi dogged her everywhere she went. Staying in felt simpler and easier most of the time.

"That doesn't sound like the Lily Evans I remember."

Lily smiled softly. "Maybe I'm not her anymore."

"Nah," James smiled back at her, "you're still that same old soul who'd meet me under the bleachers when we were supposed to be in modern foreign languages."

A thousand memories flashed across her mind.

"My god, that feels like a lifetime ago, doesn't it?"

"Ten years," James tilted his head. "You really haven't changed a bit, Evans. Even if you do have millions of followers on Instagram now."

"Keeping up to date with me?"

"Of course I am. You're the only famous person I've ever shagged."

Lily nudged him with her hand as she fended off a smile.

"You know, a few weeks back my co-workers dragged me to see your new movie."

Lily blushed a little though she didn't know why. It wasn't even like this movie had any explicit scenes. It was an action movie and sure she had a minor love interest but it didn't go any further than a few kisses. She knew that people watched her films but perhaps it took her off guard to know that he'd watched her films.

"It was really good, though I have to say, and you're brilliant of course, but the blonde — not a good look."

"Oh, you think so?"

"Mmhmm, I was honestly so concerned I had to google if you'd dyed your hair halfway through the movie. You can only imagine my relief when I read on e!News that it was a wig."

"You did not."

"I totally did. Sirius busted me and gave me shit endlessly for days."

"Now I know you're lying. You'd never be so stupid to google something like that in front of him."

"I didn't. He went on my phone to search something and I'd failed to clear the search so it opened up right to the article I'd read about you."

She bit her lips softly as she shook her head. It was classic James really. Classic Sirius too. God it had been an age since she'd seen anyone from her old high-school. They'd been such a close knit group of friends. Her, James, Sirius, Augustine Miller, Mary MacDonald, Betty Bowery, Marjorie Harkness, and William Bernard. Lily had lost contact with all of them after her move to LA. James because it had been too hard after they'd agreed to break up and the rest was just gradual, time chipping away at the things they used to have in common.

"You, uh, you mentioned co-workers so I assume you have a job?"

"No, actually, I just latched onto a random group of people in the line at the cinemas," James joked. "I'm at an IT firm — Kivera — we develop software."

"You always were a nerd for computers," she teased.

"I was not!"

"You once stood me up to play some game with 'the boys'."