Chapter 11

Luz P.O.V.

We were just cuddling on the couch, and the next thing I knew, Amity was freaking out.

"Fuck," She cursed under her breath and sat up after her phone started going off.

"What's wrong?" I ran my hand up and down her back in an attempt to take some of the edge off.

"My dad's calling me," She took a deep breath. "Don't say a word, Noceda, or I'll rip your fucking throat out."

Before I could even form a response, she answered the phone.

"Hello, father," Her tone was formal and stiff. It was little miss perfect Amity. Still stand by the fact that she's pretty hot like that.

Due to our proximity, I could very clearly hear what Mr. Blight was saying to his daughter.

"Hello, Amity," He sounded really tired. I bet being the head of a family like the Blights would do that to you. "How is your studying coming along?"

"Well," She replied laconically.

"Good to hear," He let out a sigh after a short bit of silence. "Amity, I know you're not studying."

That sentence made Amity tense up greatly, and it appeared as though she had a rebuke on the tip of her tongue, but her father continued speaking.

"I have no issue with it, however," His words made the girl in my lap relax a bit, yet a look of confusion remained on her face. "Your mother, on the other hand, would be less than amused."

Just as quickly as she relaxed, she tensed up again; her hand subconsciously found mine, and held me tight.

"I have no intention to tell her anything, but I do advise you to be cautious," He warned. "You know how she is about status, and of course, your... interests." I couldn't tell what he was referring to, but it seemed that Amity got the message.

"Y-you're not mad?" Amity's voice came out small, and it broke as she was speaking.

"Of course not!" Her father said with conviction. "Why would I be mad about my daughter living her life? You are an adult now, and there's no reason I should be prying into what you do in your free time."

"T-thank you," She choked out, breathing rapidly.

"There is nothing to be thanking me for," Mr.Blight's voice was smooth and convincing. "But, I will remind you to be cautious of your mother. As you know, she took on the last name with more pride than I, and I don't take it to be a good thing. So, live your life, but cautiously."

Amity nodded, and after a moment, she realized that her father couldn't see that. "Yes, yes. Of course. Thank you,"

I heard him laugh lightly on the other end of the line. "Now go and enjoy your time with that little friend of yours,"

"I will, dad," She smiled warmly. "Bye."

"Goodbye, Amity," With that, the call ended, and Amity let out a sigh of relief.

"Holy shit that was a rollercoaster," She leaned back into me and buried her head into my neck.

"So... your dad's cool?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah," She paused for a moment. "I think he is."

"But... your mom? Is she, um... homophobic? Or did I misinterpret that?" I looked down at the mass of teal on my chest.

"Well, I think he was referring to all of my interests," She raised her head to look at me. "Like, playing guitar, being in a band. But yeah, also that I like girls."