Chapter 3

Luz P.O.V.

I looked at the two men blocking my path.

"What the fuck's your problem?" I spat, my good mood instantly ruined.

"Oh, got a temper, huh?" The man on my right chuckled.

"Just how I like 'em," The other man moved closer to me.

I backed up to get them out of my face, only for them to continue to move closer.

"Back the fuck off!" I shoved one of them back, making him stumble a bit before hardening his expression. 

"You gonna choose the easy way?" He glared.

"Or are you gonna choose the hard way?" The other man finished the sentence.

"Did you not hear her?" I looked past them to see Amity impatiently standing behind the two guys. "Since you're obviously deaf, I'll relay the message. Back the fuck off!"

"Ooh, some feisty ones, hey?" The first man chuckled.

"Looks like we got lucky," The other one smiled mischievously.

"Oh, for crying out loud," Amity shook her head and chuckled. "You don't get the memo?"

"What's that sweetheart? You don't want a piece of the action?" He turned completely to face Amity.

Our eyes locked for a moment, relaying a silent message. She ever so slightly cocked her head, and I gave a small nod.

Simultaneously, I kicked the man on the right in the back of the knees, while Amity swept her foot under the other man's legs, successfully getting both of them to fall.

Immediately, Amity grabbed my hand, dragging me through the crowd. I felt my face heat up as I looked down at my hand in hers.

I know, I know. This isn't the time to be gushing over some girl I just met 15 minutes ago, but something about the way she knocked that guy over and immediately took the initiative to get us out of there was hot.

She led us to a door near the stage that was tucked away in a corner behind a bunch of spare chairs and tables and immediately went through it, shutting it behind her.

"Well, if we didn't lose them there, I don't know what'll shake 'em." Amity sighed, breathing a little heavier than normal. Then she looked down at our hands, which were still locked together, and immediately let go, blushing a bit as she did so. Then there was a bit of an awkward silence as we stood there by the door to what I assumed was backstage, going over what just happened in our minds.

"Thank you," I said, looking over to the teal-haired girl beside me. "I don't think I could have handled them on my own, so thanks for jumping in."

"Oh, it was nothing," She shrugged, rubbing the back of her neck. "Guys like that show up here all the time. There's really no way to stop them from coming, so I've just learned to avoid them."

"Well, either way, I owe you big time. Those are the kinds of guys that make me question liking guys at all," I chuckled.

"Those kind of guys just solidify in my mind that I don't like guys," Amity started to walk away from the door, with me in tow.

"So you listen to girl in red?" I asked with a grin.

"And you listen to Sweater Weather," She turned around and smugly grinned at me.

"Good observation. But you didn't answer my question," I raised my eyebrows and tilted my head slightly.

"Yes. I do listen to girl in red," She turned back around, only to nearly run into someone coming from around a corner.