Chapter 1

Luz P.O.V.

I looked myself up and down in the mirror.

Damn, I look good. I thought.

I readjusted my red beanie and grabbed the front of my red and black flannel, turning to see myself at different angles. You could see my Led Zeppelin shirt beneath my unbuttoned flannel, and the top of my sleeves were tight to my muscled arms.

This was the night I'd been waiting for. I needed to look my best.

And no, I'm not going on a date. But maybe if I met someone tonight I could.

This is the first night Eda, my adopted mom, is letting me go to the night club. I've been hearing stories from her about it since I was 15, and ever since I've wanted to go there myself. Now that I'm 18, I finally have my chance.

I glance over at the alarm clock on my bedside table and see that it's nearly 10 pm. Just about time to leave.

The club technically opened at 7:30, but most people head in towards when the performances start, which is around 10:15.

"You ready to go, kid?" I hear Eda shout from downstairs.

"Yeah!" I yell back. "Just gimme a second!"

I grabbed my little airtight box of weed and put it in my pocket along with a lighter. Then I made sure I had my phone, and walked downstairs, where Eda was waiting by the front door, swinging her keys on her finger with a grin.

"You got your shit?" She asked me.

"Yep," I began to smile, getting excited as to what this night would entail.

"Alright, kid, listen up," Eda's expression turned serious. "Don't do anything stupid. Don't let people push you around. Don't go in the bathrooms,"

I raised my eyebrow at the last one. "Why shouldn't I go in the bathrooms?"

"Trust me kid, you don't wanna get involved with that crowd. If you get into anything bad, just go backstage, and if you get stopped, just mention me. Tell 'em I'm an old friend of the owner's. You should be fine, he's a nice guy. If you wanna go home early, call me. Alright?" She pointed at me with a sort of glare.

I nodded, picking up on how serious Eda actually was. 

"Good. Now, you ready to go?" Her grin returned.

"Hell yeah I am!" I burst out the door and happily walked to the car.

I heard Eda laughing behind me.

"What's so funny?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Oh, nothing," She opened the driver's side door and hopped in. "It's just that most people would be so concerned to see you this excited,"

It was a fair point. I was known to most of Hexide High School as someone you didn't want to mess with, but could give you a good time if you didn't piss me off. It helped that I was best friends with the biggest plug in the school. For their sake, I'm not going to mention their name right now. 

"Well, either way kid," Eda sighed. I could tell she was having a hard time letting me do this. "Be careful, but be sure to have fun, okay?"

"Okay," I smiled over at her. Something about her sitting there made her wrinkles look a little more prominent. Her gray hair a little brighter. I knew she cared for me. That was never questioned. But there was something about the way she'd taken care of me for so much of my life that made me think of her as a friend, but also my mom. It was a weird relationship, but it was one I would never let go of.