Just an Ordinary Afternoon

Start from the beginning

Lily's green eyes slowly dragged back and forth, wary and panicked. Her grip on her wand tightened; her knuckles were white. Springing in to action, she set off to write another note to Remus, this time asking him to come over straight away. Something wasn't right. Who would do this?

"Voldemort," she whispered to herself, unconsciously shielding her stomach while scribbling almost illegibly.

"Not quite," an unfamiliar voice snarled behind her. Lily's shoulders tensed, and without hesitation, she flew to the ground, mindful of her protruding belly, just barely dodging a hex. Her breath caught in her throat as she looked up into the cold eyes of a death eater with his wand pointed menacingly down at her.

"Expelliarmus!" she shouted, cursing to herself when the man successfully dodged it. In that moment's time his attention strayed, she had pulled over to hide behind her couch.

"Don't make this any harder than it has to be, Mrs. Potter," the death eater said, banishing the couch with his wand.

"Immobulous!" she cried out quickly.

He blocked it and shouted another curse. Lily moved quickly, but the gold beam still hit her left arm, ripping the fabric of her robes; a huge gash stretched across her forearm. She cried out in pain, but hurriedly called out the jelly-leg jinx, hitting him straight on.

"What do you want!?" she screamed, rushing into the kitchen just as a large piece of the wall blew up behind her, cradling her arm in front of her stomach. "Protego," she whispered, turning her wand to herself, shielding her body.

"I want you, Lily Potter, to die," his deep voice answered in a matter-of-fact tone. In a moment's time, he slowly walked into the kitchen, his legs still wiggling slightly, finding Lily glaring defiantly at him.

"I've heard that since Hogwarts," she snapped. "Good luck with that," she said before the death eater barked out the Cruciatus curse. "PROTEGO!" she screamed out again, her wand still pointed towards her. It protected her significantly, but the pain was still there. Lily let out a strangled gurgle, the hand with her wand gripping the counter top behind her to keep her steady.

She had to stop this. Her baby. This was endangering her baby. No!

"L-Levicorpus," she forced out the first spell that came to mind after pushing herself from the counter and angrily pointing her wand at him.

At once, the death eater's ankles buckled together, and soon his feet were above his head, leaving him to dangle upside down, thrashing wildly about. His wand fell to the floor, just out of his grasp.

Gasping for breath, Lily rushed past him- summoning his wand as she did so- and ran back into her ruined living room. She forced herself to calm down enough to apparate away, going to the one person she felt safest with.

Lily rushed down the familiar vandalized alleyway, her eyes focused solely on the telephone booth located at the end. Quickly, she dialed the five-digit number and soon the voice of a secretary filled the small quarters.

"Lily Potter," she explained at once, paranoia creeping through her tone. "I-I'm here to see James Potter."

"Thank you," the voice stated cordially as a visitor's pass appeared to Lily, "Please stop by the security desk when you've entered the Ministry."

The phone booth lowered to the ground and Lily occupied her time rubbing her hand back and forth across her belly, biting her lip in anxiety. Her arm was throbbing, as well as her head, but she didn't care. She had to see James.

As soon as the phone booth entered the lobby of the Ministry, Lily bolted out, receiving more than a few odd stares at her state of condition. She barely took anything into account as she rushed past the large fountain in the center of the room and over to the security desk where a relatively young-looking wizard sat.