Chapter Twenty Nine

A/N: Hope everyone had a lovely Holiday season, enjoy this extra-long chapter as my gift to y'all. Oh yeah, and I'll be generic with TW's from here on out unless it's directly triggering/severe stuff. Enjoy the surprises to come!

TW: Lemonade

Tonight was gonna be a loooooong night...

Just what was going on with Eijirou? The ride was fun, teasing back and forth, though soon as we hit downtown, I felt his body stiffen against mine, a flick of an internal switch. He still wore his sharp-toothed smile once we arrived in front of the Agency, though his eyes were serious, body language making me feel distanced the moment he removed himself from behind me on the bike. Granted, a few pictures had been snapped on the way in, so that might've had something to do with it... But it felt like there was more to it.

A hand to his arm and a questioning look after removing my helm earned a reassuring grin and shake of his head, though his smile seemed weaker than normal. Perhaps it was simply his exhaustion?

I didn't have long to reflect on it, Fat Gum spotting us and grinning his massive Cheshire grin, waving us into the Agency to get started. Reassuring the BMI Hero that Tamaki was feeling much better, his relief was almost tangible, an enthusiastic pat to my back nearly knocking me over, laughing off his apology. I shot a happy grin back to Eijirou, catching the split-second look of near blankness before he grinned back.

Was he upset, maybe lonely with the time away, or was it something else entirely? He seemed so genuine when he reassured Tamaki earlier. Not too much time to dwell or question on it yet again, our group heading out after the usual pep talk by Fat Gum, a reminder to be extra vigilant with Tamaki back home.

A question asked if I wanted skewers before I took off by Eijirou, and I declined, admitting to him how full I was from the massive meal Tama fed me, sipping on Sis's tea he brought. The softest 'oh' I had ever heard from the tall man's lips made me pause, blinking up at him. My breath caught in my throat, frowning at the forlorn expression that darted across his features before it was smothered, a laugh and grin covering it a moment later as he commented about how manly Tama was for taking such good care of me. Genuine tone, yet the laugh... A little forced.

Did that... Hurt his feelings? I didn't mean to, only didn't want to have money wasted if I wasn't hungry. I enjoyed the flavor, sure, but everything was sitting so heavy in my stomach right now.

Before I could even ask Ei what was wrong and apologize, he ushered me off with a warm smile, telling me to have a safe flight. That if I saw any issues to let him know and he'd be right there, turning his back to me and starting off on his route. Again, that strange, distanced feeling with him hit, my heart squeezing in uncertainty. Was his head being cruel to his heart? I thought the teases would put him in better spirits than this.

I flinched as Fat Gum's large, gentle hand pressed to my back, looking up at his soft smile and giving one back, taking a sliver of strength from the reassurance it gave with the joined murmur that Ei would be alright. Apparently, last year after Tamaki took a day off, he was upset as well. So maybe it wasn't just me? Curling a wing around him in a brief hug of gratitude before stepping away to lift off, taking to the skies as per usual, enjoying my tea.

After shift I'd find out what was going through my redheaded Hero's skull. Pamper him if he'd let me. What all could I do... He did like the deep tissue impact massage with my water, maybe do a full body one? His hair too, could wash it for him and massage his scalp, I remember how lovely it felt when he took care of me with that. A hint of a frown as I scanned the area below, coming up rather dry on ideas. I knew I enjoyed the things they did with me, but I wasn't that well versed in coming up with things on my own, just... Trying to give it back.