"Hey," Lando placed his hand against the small of my back as he approached me with a smile. Jon followed close behind with Lando's helmet ready to go. "I love you."

Jon was the only person at McLaren who knew about us.

Lando pulled me into the corner and positioned us so that Jon was blocking us from everyone's view, and the view of cameras. We didn't want to share our relationship with the team yet, never mind the entire world who were watching the live broadcast right now. And, Lando refused to get into the car without giving me a kiss. I knew why; I felt the same each time I left him. I understood. 

"I love you, too."

I watched my boyfriend carefully as he pulled his helmet over his head, securing it tightly and ensuring the visor was still open. I could see his eyes focusing on me as I lingered in the corner of the garage with my phone.

"Smile," I giggled, knowing fine well that I was actually unable to see his smile because of his helmet, but I could see it in my head well enough. Lando held his thumb up. "Beautiful."

He climbed into the cockpit then, and I moved closer towards the car. When he was fastened in, I placed my hand on the halo for support and pressed a delicate kiss to the top of his helmet. Our tradition. In response, Lando reached for my hand and squeezed it, before I stepped away and his attention turned to Will. He popped his visor down. He meant business.

--

Qualifying in P12 was not Lando's expectation. He wanted better. He always wanted better. The disappointment was plastered across his face, but I think Carlos not even making it out of Q3 softened the blow a little.

Lando wanted to change before we entered the media pen, so together, we headed in the direction of his room in the hospitality building. In passing, he flashed a sad smile to our families who sat at the back of the garage. Cisca reached for her son's hand and gripped it for a moment. 

"We are so proud of everything you're achieving," he needed those words of reassurance right now. "You are amazing."

As a way to show my agreement, I gave Lando a firm pat on the back and he turned to smile at me. I loved seeing his smile, especially after a tough session out on track.

Lando took a few minutes to regain composure while we were in his room. He changed and left his race suit over the back of the small sofa, knowing that Jon would soon be in to sort everything out for him whilst we were in the media pen. I could see in his eyes and hear in his voice that he was disappointed, but I promised tomorrow would be better. He agreed, too, with a nod of his head.

"I love having you here with me." After drinking some water, Lando pulled me closer to his body and kissed my temple. As much as I wanted to stay here with him and eventually head back to the hotel - ignoring his media commitments in the process - I knew that we needed to hurry outside. It took some encouragement and persuasion, but as soon as the warm sun hit our faces when we stepped outside of the hospitality building, it was worth it.

We had a few spare minutes in the pen before moving to our first interview slot with Sky Sports F1 - which would be broadcast back home - while Stroll, who qualified in P13, currently occupied the space. To make the time pass quicker, I focused my eyes upon one of the screens in the pen, currently showing the F2 grid ahead of today's sprint race. I knew that Callum was starting from the back of the grid - like I cared - but I still made sure to watch as many race starts as I possibly could, just to know everyone was safe. I knew exactly what it felt like to watch someone you love start a race like that and in the junior categories, it always seemed more daunting.