Chapter 34

Christmas Day breakfast was filled with leftovers from the day before, with an addition of coffee, lefse and rice cream. It was a weird mix, but that was part of the tradition in our house.

I'd barely filled my plate with some of the good stuff from Christmas dinner, when the doorbell rang. Dad was the quickest to get up, bringing his coffee cup with him as he walked unhurriedly to the door.

It wasn't until I heard James' chipper, "Merry Christmas," that I reacted. My chair flew back, and I spun around, ignoring the laugh from Nina and the raised eyebrows from Hank.

"Merry Christmas," dad said back, his voice a little gruff and angry. "What a surprise."

"Is it?" James countered, as I rounded the corner and put on my best polite smile. "I'm here to pick up Elina, but she said not to drive myself," he said, eyeing me suspiciously.

Dad turned to see me and I nodded. "I did say that." I nodded, and folded my hands awkwardly. I wanted so badly to avoid any kind of possessive bullshit from either of them. "And I also said you didn't have to come first thing," I said, giving my boyfriend a pointed stare.

"I missed you." He winked at me, and stepped towards me, kissing my cheek.

"Understandable," dad grumbled. Then he cleared his throat and said, "We were just starting breakfast, would you want some, James?"

"That would be lovely, thank you, Kevin."

I looked at them both, trying to sense whatever was going on. They sounded polite and genuine, with a hint of robotics, as if they'd rehearsed it. Or at least agreed together to be civil—for me?

I shook the thought off and decided to proceed with caution. James was, technically, my father's boss. That alone could put cogs in any wheel—but they already didn't have the best track record when they were together. Last time, James yelled at him, and I had to avoid that during the holidays.

But maybe I didn't have to work too hard on that, because they both behaved on the way back to the table, and James sat down with one of his glorious smiles next to me, helping himself to some food as dad told him about the car he'd bought me. It was surreal. Surreal and...good.

"This is weird," Nina commented from her seat at the end of the table. She sent us all an awkward smile. "I mean, good weird, but still weird."

I'd pushed my plate away a few moments ago, thinking that was a clear enough message that I was finished, while dad and Hank discussed the differences on the new cars—with inputs from James now and then. He was enjoying a cup of coffee, leaned back in his chair with his arm resting on the back of mine.

Casually.

As if having breakfast with my family was the most natural thing in the world.

It definitely wasn't, but I wouldn't complain about it. I'd rather kiss them all later, and thank them for making an effort. Neither of them would've even cared to look in the other's direction if they didn't care about me. James would've happily ignored them, unless he had to deal with them for work, and dad and Hank would've done their best to keep dealing with Michael, and eventually Damian. The fact that they engaged in conversation—friendly conversation—warmed my heart.

"I have to give the girls driving lessons now, though," dad said with a smile on his face.

"Really?" James grinned widely as he shifted his gaze to me. "You need lessons? I'm a great teacher."

"Good luck with that," Hank said, chuckling lightly. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms in response. "See? Already difficult," he added, gesturing towards me.