Chapter 9

Wednesday came faster than I realized. Suddenly, the day was here and I was standing in front of my mirror, staring at the girl in there.

I'd already decided I wanted to take the bull by the horns and go all in with this. I finally had my life in my own hands, and nothing could stop that! Still...I walked back and forth between my bed and the door, contemplating sending James a text with some excuse, so I could curl up under my blanket and read a story I knew had a happy ending.

This real life stuff was making me anxious. Even if I did look pretty great. I chose to wear a thick fall dress with short sleeves, paired it with knee-high boots and a jacket. The epitome of autumn fashion with warm, dark colors and topping it all off with a burgundy lipstick.

I suddenly had an urge to dye my hair darker to match it, but there was no time. Maybe I'd do it later. Or maybe I shouldn't.

As I kept staring at myself, my nerves started to surface. Not because of James or the date itself, I knew it would be a great time, and if not it wasn't hard to just leave.. I was nervous because of what it meant.

I was putting myself in the middle of all the danger my dad had tried for so many years to keep me away from. Worry that I was more like my mom than I realized filled my body, making my hands shake.

A deep breath later, I turned on my heel and walked out, deciding to cross that bridge when I got there—if I got there. I'd always thought Nina would be the one to follow in mom's footsteps, if any of us did, and I chose to believe that was still the case as I waved goodbye to Hank and pressed a sweet kiss on dad's cheek.

"Where are you going?" dad asked.

I shared a look with Hank as I replied, "On a date."

Hank narrowed his eyes towards me, but nodded, as if giving me permission even if my look told him who I was going with. That dimmed my worries a little, even if dad let out a growling sound. "I didn't think you'd actually do so many things," he grumbled, "you're my little bookworm."

"Don't wait up." I smiled as I walked away, waving over my shoulder before I could change my mind and stay in bed.

There was a black car in the driveway, a man I didn't know standing outside of it who opened the door when I neared. I was a little hesitant, but when James stepped out, buttoning his navy suit jacket, I forgot all about the stranger.

A moment passed where I just appreciated how the blue in his suit brought out his smile, and how the black tie hung down and pointed straight at a body part I was starting to get a little curious about.. Then I looked over my shoulder to make sure my dad wasn't watching from one of the windows.

I didn't see him, so I deemed it safe to look at James again.

His brown hair was wild, just like his big smile, and he held his hand out to me when I came close enough to take it. In the harsh light from the street lamp above us, I noticed he had dimples. Cute little ones that made me want to touch his cheeks—with my lips.

"It's an honor, Your Highness, to take you away from your castle tonight." James bowed deep, and kissed my knuckles, keeping his eyes on me the whole time.

"The honor is mine, prince James," I replied, using the name he gave himself on my phone.

He grinned and held his free arm out to gesture for me to enter the car, and I smiled back. I also smiled to the stranger who'd just watched our very cheesy greeting. He gave me a thin-lipped one back, along with a nod, before I climbed into the backseat of the car. Climbed was absolutely the right word, because it was tall, and I...wasn't.