21. Hold On

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate! What didd you do for Christmas?

Song: Hold On - Chord Overstreet

***

"What happened?" The professor asks rushing over with a group of students.

"I'm not sure, he just lost consciousness," I say.

She kneels by him and checks to see if he is breathing. She lets out a breath of relief and signals at a girl standing by the side.

"Call 911," she says, and the girl immediately calls 911. After a couple of minutes, I am handed the phone and relay what happened to the operator who has us check on him and provides guidance.

After a couple of minutes of first aid and waiting with the operator, we hear an ambulance and let out sighs of relief.

Moments later, 2 ambulances arrive and paramedics rush over to us and also the area where the someone was saved from drowning.

After confirming what happened Helix is loaded onto the ambulance, and they ask who will be coming with them.

"I can!" I say quickly volunteering.

The professor looks at me," Do you know him?"

"We're friends," I say to which she nods.

"Fine, go with them and here's my number," she says shoving a card into my hands. "Keep me updated on what happens. The rest of you, get on the bus, we're headed back to school," she says. I get into the ambulance and the door is shut behind me.

I take his hands in mine and pray he is okay. "Please hold on, we're almost there," I mouth my eyes welling up with tears. After what feels like forever, we finally arrive, he is immediately wheeled to a room in the ER and nurses send me out asking me to wait outside as a doctor hurries in after me. I walk over to a chair by the door and take a seat. Then get up unable to sit.

At that moment my phone rings.

I look down and see its Blair. I quickly answer. "Blair!" I exclaim tears falling down my cheeks.

"What's wrong?" She asks sounding worried.

"Blair Helix, he...he lost consciousness," I exclaim.

"Who's that?" She asks.

"A friend," I say realizing I never told her about him.

"Don't worry I'm sure he'll be fine,"

"What if he doesn't wake up? What if.." I say unable to complete the sentence.

"He'll be okay Hestia, don't worry. Have you called 911?" She asks.

"Yes, I'm in the ER,"

"Great, then don't worry. The doctors know what they're doing. Trust them," she pleads to which I nod silently my tears falling with each nod.

"Are you the one who came in with Helix?" Another older looking doctor asks walking over to me. I quickly nod in response. "I am," I say

"What happened?" He asks.

"I'm not sure, we were at the beach for a class, and someone was drowning, next thing I know he started stating it was too noisy and was groggy, after which he lost consciousness," I explain quickly.

"Will he...will he be okay?" I ask filled with worry, slightly afraid to ask.

"We'll try our best, are you close to him?" The doctor asks.

"No, not really." I reply.

"Then are you able to contact his family?"

"No, but I should be able to get someone who can," I explain. The doctor nods and steps into the room shutting it behind him.

I quickly take out the phone and dial Lisa.

"Hey roomie!"

"Hey Lisa, do you think you could contact someone from Helix' family?"

"Helix? Why?"

"We're at the hospital he was rushed in," I explain.

"Wait hold on, you're at the hospital? With Helix?" She exclaims.

"Yes, he lost consciousness earlier..." I start explaining. "Hestia what happened?" Naz interrupts taking over the call.

"Helix was rushed to the hospital, we were at our ecology field trip and he suddenly lost consciousness," I explain.

"Which hospital?"

"Saint Peters,"

"Can you get the doctor or nurse on the phone?" Naz asks.

"I can try, I'm not sure," I say

"Please, it's important. Tell them I know his medical records and condition," Naz says to which I nod and walk towards the door and knock.

A nurse opens he door and gives me a questioning look.

"Hi, his friend would like to speak with you," I say looking at the doctor.

"Do we look like we have time for that?" The nurse asks sounding irritated.

"Hold on, do they know his medical condition?" The older Doctor asks to which I nod.

The doctor signals for me to be let in. I walk in and hand him the phone.

"Hello, Dr. Luke speaking," The doctor says and stays silent listening.

"I suspected as much, that explains it,' The doctor says to which I raise my brows, my interest piqued.

"That sounds okay, we'll get him ready and await your arrival," Dr Luke says and hands me the phone.

"Hestia, could you please wait at the hospital till we get there?" Naz asks.

"Of course! I would never leave," I reply adamantly.

"Great, I truly appreciate it. If anything happens call me immediately, I'll be there as soon as possible," Naz says and disconnects the call. I am then led out by a nurse and glance back at the door shutting behind me. What was really going on with Heilx?

I walk back to the chair and take a seat while leaning my head against the wall, i shut my eyes. Time goes by  with nurses coming in and out of the room. 

"Hestia!" I hear my name called and turn to the sight of Lisa, Naz, Kate, Mimi, Leo and Pete rushing over with the exception of Justin.

"Hey!" I say getting up and  hurrying over only to be met with a hard slap across my face.

***

A bit of news on my end, I graduated  :)