"You mean like you wishing Lena could talk to your mom for you."

"What's it like always being right?" Ned asked, exasperated.

"It's a terrible burden." Sam smiled and the visual of Sam in his clothes warmed Ned all over and he didn't miss the jacket even a little bit.

But the fact his present to Sam was still in that pocket made him nervous. Everything made Ned nervous. The call. The girl. The Gregor. The everything. He didn't want to call his mother back because he knew it wouldn't end well, so why would he purposely put himself through that? If he knew by opening the door, he'd fall off a cliff on the other side, why would Ned go anywhere near that door? Ned never chooses the harder option.

Why walk upstairs when there's an elevator?

He can't get into trouble for the things he doesn't do.

Staying still means nothing bad will happen. No news can be good news.

"She's calling again," Ned said, taking out his phone. Sighing, Ned took a swig of hot chocolate for courage and did the unthinkable. He answered his mother's call.

"Hi, mom-"

"NED FLOWERS!" His mother roared and he had to flinch away from the receiver. A few inches away, he still managed to hear her, like there was little mouse screeching inside this little black box he called a phone. "Where are you? Why do I hear Christmas music? You better be home right now. We don't have time for this."

"Um, well uh no-"

"Ned! You're brother is on his way home. We're supposed to pick him up from the airport."

"I know but--"

"And the rest of the family comes tomorrow. we have too much to do, to clean, to cook, and figure out. What are you even doing? I can't believe you. You're seventeen years old. I should be able to leave you at home without having to worry!"

Ned started to pass back and forth, staying near Sam and the bench, Ned swiveled around the crowd because he couldn't possibly stand still when he was walking around on eggshells. Too much anxiety was sparking out of him. Uncontainable nervous energy that took him for a ride.

"You can trust me! Tonight's just weird and I'm fine, so-"

"You don't have to tell me tonight's weird. I can't believe I had to have a phone call with Linda Hayes about you kidnapping her son and how you're a bad influence on him. Him? Sam of all people? She'd be lucky if Sam was a little like you. God. I've never met a snootier or more rude kid in my life."

"Sam isn't like that!" Ned shouted and his face was slapped with a hot blush. He whirled to meet Sam's surprise. Ned's brow furrowed. "Sam's helping me."

"Well, whatever you two are doing stops right now. Come home and maybe I won't ground you for the rest of your life."

Ned didn't know what face he was making, but if it was close to how he was feeling maybe he should go home. He didn't like it when his mother said exactly what Ned tried to never think about.

"I don't understand you, Ned," she said. "This is ridiculous. What are you even doing? You're getting older and you're going to stop playing around. This little act you have isn't going to be cute forever. Do you want to be acting this when you're thirty?"

"M-maybe!" Ned's nose flared and he was a rock in the river, standing still as the river of people flowed around him. "What if it's not an act? What if this is who I am? What if I am just weird? Huh?"

Sam appeared as a rise of noise exploded in the crowd. Ned glanced behind his shoulder at the back of Santa land. It looked like Santa was coming out. People were waving and cheering for him. He unleashed a booming ho ho ho and wished everyone a merry Christmas as he passed.