Chapter Twenty-Three

SAM

"Cheese!" a girl said, alongside her boyfriend. They held up two respective peace signs with The Gregor in-between them, rocking his signature pose of doing absolutely nothing. The Gregor was held up by a wobbling Ned on his knees, so this couple could take their picture.

Sam did not like this a single bit.

He stood to the side with his arms crossed like the bodyguard.

Ned however was finally achieving his childhood dreams, reaching a level of infamy for stealing The Gregor. Tales of his crime had reached the tristate area thanks to Chad and his merry band of tipsy jocks. Indie sent Sam a warning. Surprisingly, one from Barbie too, who was given a group message between all the Bulldogs that announced a bounty on Ned's head.

Pooled together by the team, 200$ crisp dollars to the person who could reveal Ned's location. Another hundred to keep him there. Chad was also offering a free favor, which was vague enough to let people dream of just what the quarterback could do for them. Sam shuddered to think.

And the kids around here weren't stupid. At least not when it came to getting something. They were putting the pieces of the puzzle together: Ned was over six feet tall, carrying a red backpack that held the gnome, he was driving around on Santaland golfcart, and he had just left the school dance again.

They weren't impossible to follow at twenty miles per hour.

"Thanks, Ned," the guy in the couple rubbed The Gregor for luck, and Sam recognized him from Chemistry. This guy was gonna need more than just patting some clay to pass that class.

"Anytime," Ned said as if this kind of thing happened all the time.

He never knew how to say no.

"Alright, alright." Sam finally stepped in and shuffle the people away. He glared at others that threatened to approach, remarking. "Go find something more interesting to do. Unless you're Gregory Hines's mom, we want nothing to do with you. Goodbye. Bye."

Waving at the rest, the people dispersed, and they were forced to enjoy the Christmas Walk in a normal way. The Christmas Walk was hosted by a local church where businesses and other organizations set up themed displays like art exhibitions. All around the trail surrounding the church, trees were wrapped in lights. Tall Christmas trees made of light were everywhere, changing lights and flickering on and off. Most were timed to the music playing on hidden speakers. They passed a life-sized sleigh with animatronic reindeer. Sam looked out for the volunteers, who were in-charged of making sure nobody left the sidewalk or tried riding one of the light-up reindeer. They were basically the hooligan police and the boys were wanted criminals.

As they stepped into a tunnel of Christmas lights, kids were running back and forth, and families were taking pictures. Ned nudged Sam. "Would you consider tonight at date?"

Sam snorted out of surprise. He looked away to hide how pleased he was, keeping his eyes on the light to mask the twinkling lights in his own eyes. "You're asking me this now?" They were walking a few inches apart. Their hands threatening to touch.

He wasn't sure what made things a date.

And what made things a regular hang-out. Was it the feelings passing between them? Was it all different for now and for forever because their lips touched? If two people could kiss at any moment, could there always be a chance they were on a date? Sam would very much like to know the answer to that question too.

Towards the end of the tunnel, Sam noticed at little sign thanking the Barrett family for their donation of the lights. More and more, Sam could see these little signs everywhere, among the signs yelling at people to stay off the grass.