Chapter Twenty-Four

SAM

Staring up at the former house of Gregory Hines, Sam took a deep breath. The length of the day was finally weighing on him. He was dizzy with exhaustion. The brief car ride over nearly sucked him into a nap like quicksand, something that only became harder to avoid the more he struggled.

If he thought Ned could do it, Sam might've asked Ned to carry him across the lawn. It didn't help that once Lena and Ned reunited, they hadn't stopped talking to each other. Ned regaled the parts of the night she missed while Lena explained that she had been able to keep up on social media.

Ned's eyes sparkled at a drowsy Sam.

"We're famous," he said.

"We're fucked," Sam argued.

Maybe Sam could've gotten away with a power nap, but Jason needed directions. Back at the Christmas Walk, Sam and Ned were running for Lena's car. He knew Ned had betrayed the cheerleaders with that wallet stunt. Ned didn't need a wallet. He didn't have a license, let alone a permit, and he didn't have any cash or cards. The only money Ned received was from the odd babysitting job and that money disappeared fast.

Sam knew about the coupon wallet.

Always strapped on cash, Ned relied on promos, special offers, and punch cards to go out. When the time came, Sam knew their first date would be at minimum half taken care of by an ad sent to Ned's dad in the mail. Sam might be embarrassed if Ned wasn't so cute. If he wasn't so proud of his savings.

Back at the Christmas Walk, Sam had gotten the text from Lena that they had arrived to save them, so they could make their exit before it all blew up in their faces when Sam had to make a full stop.

A patch of lights secured every little bit of his attention. He said, totally out of breath. "Oh my god."

"What?" Ned twisted around, still trying to run. He didn't hide his anxiousness to keep running, his hands pulling at Sam's arm. "What? What's wrong?"

"I know these lights..." Sam looked up at a tree where snowflakes hung and swayed. He locked eyes on the sign in front. "Greg's mom didn't work at the Christmas Walk. Vanessa didn't remember it right. She donated to the walk."

In front of the same house now, Sam remembered the way his mother actually complimented the old tree in front of the house. How this was what taste looked like, not like those Flowers across the street.

Jason did what he did best.

He knocked on the front door. Quickly, a girl opened it, dressed in an ugly Christmas Sweater. "Hey, what's up?" She was all smiles, brighter and shinier than half the lights outside. The way the actual ornaments on that swayed somewhat hypnotized Sam. "Welcome! Welcome! Come in..." She motioned them. "Where's your gift?"

"Our gift?" Ned asked, still hobbling as he followed.

This girl's tune changed. She turned slowly. "That was like the one rule to come. You have to bring a gift for White Elephant."

"Uh..." Searching for an excuse or a gift, Ned and the rest looked through their pockets and Ned reached for his backpack, but quickly realized it was gone. Groaning, Ned muttered, "My mom is going to kill me." He said as if he was just realizing it. "I just got that bag last year."

"How about that?" The girl said, pointing to The Gregor in Ned's arms. She was squinting, her face a mess of expression, like she was blurry to even us. With a snort, she wagged her finger at the gnome. "It looks just like The Gregor. What a great gag gift."

"Um, yeah, totally not actually The Gregor," Ned said, his words jumbling out like an obvious lie. "That'd be crazy—"

Lena elbowed him. "She gets it."