THE END

NED

"We won't take up much more of your time," Ned said, remembering how late it was and how she had probably been on her way to bed. "Thank you for talking to us."

"Yeah, thank you so much," Sam agreed.

Jeanie just grinned, still holding The Gregor with bright shiny eyes. "No, I should really be thanking you. This is... well, this is the most wonderful Christmas gift I could've ever received. I wish I had something—Oh! Wait here!"

She disappeared inside and Sam leaned over to whisper, "Are you okay letting him go?"

Ned nodded. "I told The Gregor I'd take him home and I did."

"How does it feel? To be done?"

"It feels strange..." Ned didn't know how to describe it. He was having so much fun. This journey was one of the most exciting times of his life and with it being over meant it couldn't continue. All the laughs had been had. The romance had been created. It was all encapsulated now and he couldn't go back to experience it for the first time again. Ned smiled a little. "It kind of makes me eager for the next adventure."

"Me too." Sam nudged him.

"It's not much!" Jeanie said, arriving back at the door. She handed them a candy cane each. "But it's all I have. Merry Christmas, boys."

"Merry Christmas," they said, and Ned hugged her goodbye. She watched them walk down the path towards their parents. Ned glanced back as she was waving goodbye. Ned waved to her, but his eyes caught the reflection in The Gregor's sunglasses. He waved goodbye at the gnome for the final time too.

They arrived back at the cars, noticing the crowd had dispersed. It was just their two families again. Just like it was at the very start. Ned gave Sam a smile before he let his hand go. The air turned serious as he faced Sam's mom, trying to tough up his skin. He said, "Um, Mrs. Hayes—"

"Not tonight, Ned," she said, holding her hand up to him. "We'll talk, but not tonight. I just wanna get my kids home."

Ned swallowed his comment and just nodded. He watched the Hayes family pile into the family car, his eyes trained on Sam. It didn't feel like a goodbye forever this time. He was more confident than ever to watch him go, knowing they'd be together again soon. Ned's mom appeared by his side and patted his back. He met her eyes, and it was comforting to not see disapproval like usual. The gesture alone was enough.

Margaret however didn't immediately go.

Tucking her hair behind her ears, she approached John. "Um," her voice quieter than Ned had ever heard. He didn't even know she had the capacity for softer tone. "Thanks John. For um, everything. It was fun. Kind of. Well, not terrible."

John smiled brighter than the streetlamps. "You're welcome, Margaret."

"Maggie," she mumbled.

"Hm?"

"Maggie."

"What did you—"

"MAGGIE!" She shouted and Ned thought this made more sense. "You can call me Maggie, okay?! Whatever. I'm leaving. Bye John." Her entire face burned the brightest red color that Ned had ever seen before.

John laughed and waved. "Bye Maggie!"

She nodded and scurried into the back of the car with Sam, who looked at her like he knew exactly what was going on. They drove off and Ned waved at Sam looking through the back window. He was watching his boyfriend. His boyfriend. Sam Hayes was his boyfriend.