Chapter Twenty-Six

NED

Standing on the blacktop was like standing in a thinly iced lake, cracking under the weight of Ned's feet. The more people around him, the closer his parents came towards them, more stress was created, and more cracks appeared. His heartbeat hit heavy against his chest, bruises blooming from every beat. 

Taking his final full breath of the night, Ned turned to his friends. "Let's book it."

Everyone but Sam nodded as Ned came up with the plan on the fly. "I think we can make it back to Indie's car back at the house. We might have to pile on top of each other, but maybe we can find the golf cart and just use that again—"

Sam grabbed Ned's arm with a reassuring squeeze. "We don't have to do anything. I don't think we should have to run."

"What's the big deal?" Griffin asked. "Who are these people?"

"Just wait," Indie said as less of a promise and more like a threat.

Lena shook her head. "I don't even think we can run."

And she was right as Sam's family car drove past to block their back exit and Ned's parents parked directly in front of Jason's van so he couldn't break free without owing big on the insurance. Ned's mom climbed out, still in her nice party clothes. Her dark hair bounced in the curls, and it was becoming clearer and clearer that their party was nicer than described. His mother was wearing pearls and red lipstick. His dad wore a dress shirt. Ironed.

Ned's eyes were so wide they threatened to snap.

"Ned Bartholomew Flowers!" His mothered bellowed like a bridge troll demanding Ned pay a toll. "Have you lost your mind? Do you have any idea what we've been through tonight? We were supposed to pick your brother up from the airport hours ago."

"Ned," His father jumped in with his hands on his hips in the most disappointed in Ned pose possible. "You need to cut this out and get in the car. We're going home."

"I-I-I can't—" Ned stammered out, shaking so much even his split ends trembled. "I have something to do!"

His mother grimaced, her mouth the thinnest angry line Ned had ever seen. "I'm not entertaining this. Lena," she said. "Was this your idea? What were you guys doing?"

Lena held up her hands. "It wasn't me."

"Or me," Indie said, their fellow usual suspect.

The hand squeezing Ned's heart tightened until it popped. He had to force the words out through all the hurt. "It was my idea. Why couldn't this be my idea?"

Thankfully, Sam's parents strutting over cut him off and gave his nerves a mercy killing. "Sam, I've had it," Sam's mom snapped. "I'm not chasing you all night. If you ever want to see the outside of your bedroom again, you'll come home right now."

"Oh, if it isn't Beatrice" Ned's mother spoke up.

Ned's skin ran cold as he stared in wide eyed horror at the two women. He couldn't remember the last time they were actually occupied the same space. It was a landslide and a tornado meeting. It was the earth splitting and acid rain. Ned feared for their lives.

His mother scoffed. "I can see who's the cause of all this now."

"What's that supposed to mean, Autumn?" Sam's mother, Beatrice raised.

It wasn't Ned's mom or Sam's mom anymore.

It was Autumn Flowers and Beatrice Hayes. Just them in a deadlock glaring contest. Anyone who got in-between that was just asking to be hit with one of their sparks.