Chapter Twenty-Eight

NED

Jason parked his car at an abandoned grocery store, the parking lot a sea of nothingness. Ned paced the length of the car back and forth until he worked up the courage to open his phone and call.

If Ned treated this leg of the race like a video game, he still needed to defeat the remaining mini bosses before he got a chance to battle the big boss at the end.

Taking a deep breath, Ned opened Margaret Hayes's profile. His heart was going wild, begging him not to do it, jumping up and down to get Ned's attention to warn him of the in-coming danger. He persevered and with his friends watching with bated breath, Ned dialed Margaret Hayes.

The phone rang.

And rang. 

And rang.

And rang.

Inspiring droplets of sweat to form at Ned's hairline. This was as close to putting his hand on a hot stove on purpose as he's ever gotten. Just asking to get hurt. He took a deep breath and looked to his friends for support. Lena offered a positive thumbs up that he mirrored when hell froze over, and Margaret finally answered his call.

"You're an idiot and a coward, Ned Flowers," Margaret greeted him. In the background, Ned heard his own brother snort.

Steadying himself, Ned said, "I agree."

"This must be good. I can't believe you actually called me."

"It is."

"I've always thought you were selfish, but I never thought you'd treat Sam like that."

Ned didn't reply at first. He didn't want to argue a losing cause. Dipping his head, Ned tried pushing out the words because he was crushed under the weight of them. He promised, "I'm going to make it up to him."

She guffawed.

"Margaret, I don't know what will happen in the future. I don't who we'll be or what we're doing, but I know that I'm never breaking up with Sam. If he's ever tired of me, I'll let him go. Not before then."

She wasn't saying anything, so Ned just let himself go off, standing a little taller. "I love Sam, but I can't promise to you that I'll never bother him or make him angry, but you have to believe me when I say I'll never make him think he's unwanted again, Margaret. I think he's the greatest person in the world."

Another beat.

Another moment where Ned was sure he failed. You'd think he'd be used to it by now, but it still cut just as deep. He wasn't sure what he was supposed to do if this didn't work. If this didn't happen. He looked at the dark horizon, feeling time moving. Today couldn't end until he was ready.

"Well?" Margaret asked.

"Well, what?"

Exasperated, she huffed and shouted at him, "Why did you call me?!"

"Oh!" Ned smiled, giving Lena an excited thumbs up and they all quietly celebrated, jumping up and down and high fiving each other. Indie hopped up and down to Ned, hanging off of him. "Uh, I need your help!"

"You need Chad's number?"

"Um, no. Griffin gave it to me. This is what I need you and John to do—"

"But why did you call me and not John? He's the one driving."

"Right but... but I didn't want you involved if it made you uncomfortable."

Maybe she would hear it in the subtext, but Ned wanted her approval. He wanted to pursue Sam again with Margaret's blessing. Not with her fighting him every step of the way.