Chapter Twelve

INDIE

Waving, Indie watched their stepsister get carted away by Barbie's pink van as the sun was setting and the sky was exploding in burning orange. Still for the first time tonight, Indie was still living in the fantasy of Lena jumping off Chad's roof into the pool. Jason was going to be so pissed he missed that. Dammit. Hopefully, someone caught it on video.

A few moments later, a stampede of sweaty jocks came running to the edge of the sidewalk. Looks like Ned made a run for it just in time. One with a bad complexion, but great taste in ugly sweaters asked Indie, "Where did they go?"

Indie shrugged, innocently. "Off to better things, I assume."

"Alright everybody." Chad clapped his hands and that somehow inspired a team huddle. For fun, Indie snuggled up between two of the jocks and listened with mock enthusiasm.

Chad talked the game plan like the team was heading into a dire battle. "I say we pile up into two separate cars and go after them. They couldn't have gotten very far."

Shaking their head, Indie pointed out, "But we've been drinking. That's not safe, legal, or smart."

"Indie's right," Chad said and the guys all nodded and murmured in agreement. "First we sober up. Then, we go track down that nerd."

He put his hand forward. All the guys immediately threw their hands in the center and despite being on the other team, Indie loved a good team huddle, got swept up, and threw their hand in the pile too. Indie announced, "Go, Bulldogs!"

"Go, Bulldogs!" They echoed and threw their hands up, breaking it up with a few "woofs" and "alright's". It was weirdly adorable and made Indie smile to themselves. They watched the jocks go as Chad spouted out orders of eating bread, making coffee, and chugging some water, Indie checked their phone. It sounded like Chad even sent out a hunt for any designated drivers brave enough to join their mission.

Chuckling softly, Indie noticed they still had time to get their night started. Before Ned got stood up, Indie had a list of things to do, but New Flowers had the power to overtake the direction of any ship. It was the passion, the way his puppy dog eyes struck right through the heart.

Indie never said no to a little fun.

"What the fuck?"

Glancing from their phone, Indie spotted Griffin Thomas in his terrible glory approach the end of the driveway. Up closer, Indie could appreciate Griffin was a good-looking guy. Good looking like he might get a second look at the grocery store. The wire glasses were a surprise. He read like a contacts kind of guy to Indie.

With a huff, Griffin walked into the road with his arms out like he was missing something. "Where did she go?" Turning, he narrowed in on the only person left around. "Hey, you."

Indie glanced up, tilting their head. "Who me?"

"Yeah, you, did you see which way that pink van went? My phone's in there."

A lightbulb flashed over Indie's head.

Indie never said no to a little fun.

Grinning, Indie said, "Not only do I know where that pink van went. I have the number of the owner of the van."

"You do?" Griffin's brows flew up before his whole body nearly crumbled from the relief. Upon further examination, Indie took note that out of everyone who left the Chorus's Christmas Charity function, Griffin was the only one still put together. There was something tense about him. Like a taut wire threatening to snap at any moment.

"But I'm not going to tell you," Indie said as chipper as possible.

What looked like a loading screen appeared behind Griffin's eyes as he tried piecing together Indie's puzzle. Uninterrupted and appreciative of it, Indie explained further, "I don't think you've done anything tonight to warrant my help."