Chapter 54: Well That's Not a Cheesy Reunion

Start from the beginning

The witch looked up to see both Cynthia and Griffin looking at them in worry. They sighed softly before reassuring them, "I'm going to be fine. Griffin, protect the two of them, can you do that?"

Griffin purred softly, nudging Cynthia's side as tears started to gather in her eyes. She let out a small sob as she turned and started to head down the hall.

Elliot took the rifle and made their way to the first cell, behind it a blinded basilisk slithered around nervously. Well... time to attempt to communicate with an animal with no magic.

~~~

Cynthia was breathing heavily as she ran, tears running down her cheeks and falling into the baby feathers on her neck. She hoped Elliot would be okay, they had to be okay, they were like a parent to them as the two of them went through this Hell together. They had helped her when she first arrived and took out her voice box, and every time she came back to the cell after they plucked all of her feathers.

She heard loud bangs coming down the hall that they left. That must be Elliot destroying the locks, the witch had too big of a heart. Of course they wouldn't be able to leave the rest of the prisoners, they had to free them, Cynthia understood. But she really wished they were with them, because she was too scared to do this on her own.

They reached a part where the hallway split in three. They could go straight, left, or right. It sounded like there were several people coming from the right, so they had to go straight or they could be caught.

However, they weren't able to run straight for more than a few seconds since a group of hunters turned towards them from another corner, Morgan in front. Several rifles were pointed at them. Cynthia turned to see if she could reach the corner behind them in time, but another group of hunters blocked their path.

A small whine left her throat as she backed towards the wall, Griffin crouching low and growling at them. They were trapped and the hunters slowly closed in, careful to make sure no one made a move.

"I hope you know that this behavior won't go unpunished," Morgan warned. "Stand down, or we open fire."

Cynthia tried to control her breathing, she grunted slightly and Griffin looked over. She shook her head, and he whined, but lowered his head in defeat.

"Good, just like that, little pets. Now let's-"

Morgan was cut off by some screams, and then a loud roar from behind them. The group that blocked the way to the cell turned around, several shots were fired but it seemed to do nothing as the group was torn apart. A dragon came into view, along with several other creatures.

Griffin jumped in front of Cynthia and Virgil as the siren went to the wall, crouching as she folded herself over the fairy. The other group opened fire, but there were several screams coming from the back of that one.

Several hunters were lifted into the air as wood grabbed them and moved them to the walls. A large metal fox jumped onto Morgan and... well... Let's just say fear wasn't the only thing that made him lose his head.

"Cynthia!" Elliot shouted when the commotion died down, running over to her. She looked up, only to quickly look down to make sure Virgil was okay. He was still breathing, albeit weakly, and he seemed to be unconscious.

"Virgil?!" another voice shouted, making them look over.

Griffin stood in front of them defensively as Cynthia and Elliot looked up to see a stranger standing next to the metal fox. He had a red cloak, but what made them relax were his red eyes.

"Griffin, it's okay," Elliot told him.

The fox shrunk down into a normal one as he ran with the witch, the two rushing over to Virgil's side. Darrell got that first, but Cynthia pulled the fairy closer to her chest to protect him. Elliot put a hand on her shoulder to calm her.

"Oh stars, Virgil," the witch groaned when he saw the fairy. He slowed his pace down as he got closer, putting his hands up to show he wasn't a threat.

"Who are you and how do you know his name?" Elliot asked.

"I'm a friend, a witch. Virgil and I are close, my name is Roman-"

Cynthia gasped the moment he said his name. She grabbed Elliot's arm and shook it excitedly.

"Yes, I know," Elliot cooed, putting their hand over hers. They looked up at Roman and gestured for him to come forward.

Roman wasted no time in getting there, falling to his knees. He put a hand on Virgil's forehead, the fairy whimpering still. "Oh Vee... what did they do to you?" His eyes traveled to the wings, wincing at all the bandages that covered them. "Stars, we should have been faster."

"What's going on up there? What was that explosion?" Elliot asked.

Roman looked up, his face hardening. "We're fighting the hunters, we came here to get Virgil back and free any other prisoners. Is this everyone?" He looked around at the group of creatures.

Elliot shook their head. "I didn't think I would have time to get the rest, I had a feeling that these guys were in trouble."

"Okay, we'll get the others. Rascal!" The moment he called, the possum suddenly appeared next to him, making him jump slightly. He sighed to calm himself down before saying, "Go find my brother, tell him that we found Virgil and are heading back. Tell him that there are others down here that need to be freed."

The possum chittered in response before becoming invisible again, scurrying off to find her witch.

Roman looked back to Elliot, frowning slightly. "You're a witch?"

"Was, I-I lost my core a long time ago."

The other nodded in understanding. "You're still a witch, even without magic. I'm going to take you all outside and to our camp, it's mostly humans but they're good and came to help. Once we're there and I'm sure Virgil will be okay, I'm coming back here to destroy this place. Do you want to help?"