Special Delivery

A while later, before she or Danny had left the Hub, Raven's phone went off in her pocket. She pulled it out, hoping it wasn't another emergency. She'd had enough of those for a while.

It was Peter. 'Hey, I got your stuff. Are you at SHIELD HQ?'

"I hate to ruin the party," she announced, "but I've gotta go."

"Trouble?" Danny asked.

Raven shook her head. "Delivery."

"From who?"

"Spider-Man."

Danny laughed, clearly disbelieving her. "Alright, never mind. Keep your secrets."

Smirking, Raven stood up from the table. "Why, thank you. I think I will."

"Jerk." He shook his head as she walked off. 

Once she was out of the room, she paid full attention to her phone. 'Yeah. Are you on your way?'

Quite frankly, Raven wasn't entirely sure how much 'stuff' Peter was about to drop off. Other than the safety snap bracelets and a suit, anything was on the table. Who knew what kind of equipment Shuri had come up with while she was away? Hopefully, Shuri had sent her watch back too, but she might also still be working on an upgrade...

Peter texted back: 'Yep meet you in the garage. Security won't let me any farther'

'Sounds like you've done this before'

'Kinda, long story'

Raven didn't need to know. She just went to the garage and let security know that Spider-Man would stop by in the next few minutes and sat down to wait.

Of course, that was the perfect time for Smith to pass by. He raised an eyebrow as he passed her sitting on the bench. "Waiting for someone?"

"Yeah. You?"

Smith shook his head and pointed over his shoulder before approaching. "Heading out. Meeting a buddy of mine from uni."

That piqued her interest. Smith never mentioned going to university before. "What did you study?"

"Social work," he explained, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Wanted to help kids in the foster system for a while, but then... aliens came out of the sky... stuff went sideways..."

"Lost interest?"

"Yeah. Got started here and five years later, here we are."

She nodded. Makes sense why he tried to ask about high school the other day now. "What about your friend?"

"Business major, accounting."

"Sounds boring."

"It is boring," he agreed, "but at least he got his degree."

"You could always finish yours," Raven pointed out. "Doesn't SHIELD partner with a few schools so agents can study part-time?"

Smith shrugged, clearly not interested in the idea. "Yeah, big schools like Harvard and Yale and whatnot. If I really wanted to, I could just go to a community college and call it good. What about you? Thinking about it?"

She snorted, laughing. "Not for a while. Hard to get into college when you don't have a high school diploma."

"I'm sure you could find a way. You know, Romanoff and all."

"Sure, I can spy my way through university. Shouldn't be a problem."

She could, though. At the rate she was going, Raven would probably have run-ins with the United Nations before long. After all, she was already helping to draft the new Sokovia Accords. Maybe a political science degree would help. 

He grinned at her. "You're thinking about it, aren't you?"

"Your fault," Raven pointed out. "You suggested it."

A flash of red and blue caught her eye. "My guy is here," she announced, standing up. "Have fun with your friend."

"Yeah, you to..." he trailed off when he turned around and saw Spider-Man walking through security. "What th-"

"Special delivery!" Peter called out, waving the briefcase in his hand. He was completely suited up so no one could tell who he was, mask and all. He was Spider-Man for all the garage to see.

Raven smiled, internally cackling. She was going to get a kick out of this. "How was the trip back?"

Peter shrugged, making up for his lack of facial expressions. "Eh, quick. Time flies in a jet."

He handed over the case before explaining. "Instructions and explanations are all inside. Most of these are prototypes, though, so expect upgrades before long."

"What is it with her and upgrades?" Raven asked, inspecting the case. Shuri had installed a security measure to make sure no one else opened it, but other than that, it looked standard.

"You get used to it," he assured her. He looked around and saw Smith standing off to the side, mouth gaping open. He waved. "Hey, man."

Smith pointed at him, then pointed at Raven. "Yo- you know him?"

"Spider-Man? Yeah, what about it?"

He pointed at Raven. "You know her???"

"Yeah, we've worked missions together," Peter said casually, having realized that Raven was intentionally trying to blow Smith's mind. He turned to her. "How much does he know about you?"

"As much as I've told him," she answered. "Almost nothing."

"Has he seen you shoot?"

"Nope."

Smith narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean, I haven't seen you shoot? We were at the firing range, like, an hour ago!"

Grinning, Raven rolled her eyes. "That's not what he means, Smith. Don't worry about it."

"Don't worry about what? What are you talking about???"

"Hey, while I'm here," Peter mentioned, dropping his voice, "Has Fury talked about adding anyone else to the team?"

She shrugged, ignoring Smith for a minute. "I wouldn't know. I haven't seen him for a few days. I can check the next time I see him, though."

Waving his hand, he explained, "I just wanted to check. He'd probably tell you first."

True. "Probably. If he does, I'll let you know."

Peter glanced up for a moment. "Is there a reason we're blowing his mind?" 

"I like to mess with him." She looked over her shoulder at Smith, making it seem like they had something to hide (which wasn't entirely false). "He's decent, just has a big head."

"Fair enough." To both of them, he said, "Well, I gotta go. Let me know if you have any trouble with the case. See you around, man." Peter saluted before jogging back to security to head home. 

Raven started walking back to the doors, fully aware that Smith was about chase after her. Sure enough, a second later, he called out from behind her: "Hey! What the hell was that?"

"I told you I was waiting for someone."

"You didn't say it was Spider-Man!!!"

"You didn't ask."

"And what's the case for?"

She gestured to it. "Prototypes. One of our mutual friends is a developer, I'm helping her test some equipment. 

Smith pointed back toward the security gate. "So you get SPIDER-MAN to be your personal delivery man?"

"It's a Romanoff thing," she said simply, grinning. "We know people."

"LIKE SPIDER-MAN???"

Raven shook her head. "Have fun with your friend, Smith."

"WHAT THE HELL!!!"