Protector

Most of the unit was still ogling at my leg by the end of training but they were more interested in trying to get details out of me about the infiltration. I had to keep repeating the same, vague answers which didn't make them very happy, but it's not like I had a choice. Most of them went their separate ways afterward, probably to spread around what I did tell them, but it wouldn't matter. All I had said was what had already been announced via email, just face-to-face.

Smith followed me after training, though. I glanced at him sideways. "Do you have a running list for my nicknames, or do you just memorize them?"

"I'm memorizing my favorites, I have a list of all the others," he explained, pulling out his phone. "Look, all of these are for you."

There had to be around fifty bird species on there. I raised an eyebrow. "Well, no one can say you aren't committed."

Grinning, he took it back and slid it in his pocket. "Just wait. You're getting stuffed animal birds for Christmas."

"Great," I groaned, looking away. "I'll start making a nest."

He laughed, but apparently, that wasn't the end of the conversation. Smith kept walking with me as I walked toward the campus housing. "Hey, do you think there's any chance I can take a look around Espionage? After seeing your leg today, I'm kinda curious."

I looked at him. "You're not going to be able to get past the lobby, you know that right? Field agents don't have clearance to be walking around our department."

"What? Do you think I'm gonna shoot up the place?"

"Do you not remember what just happened a few days ago?"

Slouching his shoulders, he conceded. "Fine, just the lobby."

"Give me fifteen minutes to clean up and I'll show you around," I told him, pausing at an intersection in the hallway. "Do you know how to get there?"

Smith looked insulted. "Of course, I know how to get there. I'm not dumb."

I raised my hands in surrender. "Just checking. I'll be back."

Walking off, I wiped some sweat off my face with my shirt. The more I thought about it, there really wasn't much to see in the lobby. There was the mission globe in the center, but that was about it. Realistically, there wasn't even much to see even past the entry gates. The true strength of the Espionage department was in the shadows: it was their communication, their strategy, their swiftness, their efficiency. A good spy wasn't noticed, and a good department was concealed. It wasn't like Field, where they had squads of agents at the ready and impressive machinery and weaponry in storage. Field agents had plenty to show for, but Espionage had next to nothing. That was the impressive part. 

Still, if Smith wanted a look around the lobby, I'd show him. I'd let him believe that there was some epic base behind the lobby gates and that our secrets didn't go all the way to the individual agent. 

Once I was back in my casual suit, I made my way to the department entrance and saw Smith hanging out by the sliding glass doors. Instead of changing completely, as I had, he had thrown sweats on over his shorts and switched out his shirt. His hair was still damp. I looked him up and down before speaking. "Loving the effort you put in for this."

"Didn't know that was a requirement," he explained.

"It's not, it just an interesting choice," I noted, shaking my head. "Nothing like first impressions."

I let it be, though, it wasn't important. Smith followed me in, and I walked to the side of the globe, pointing first at the gates that allowed access to the rest of the department. "I wouldn't try to go back there if I were you. You won't make it far."