Inheritence

"Uh oh," Sharon warned, sitting back in her seat. "This ought to be fun."

"I was doing my job," Raven insisted, looking her superior officer directly in the eyes. "It's not my fault I kept getting missions that led me straight to CROS."

"You sure about that?" Natasha asked, side-eyeing her student. "Knowing you, it's not out of the question."

Fair point. Raven quickly amended her statement: "I did not intentionally select missions that directly led me to CROS. The missions I was assigned just so happened to circle around them to the point where I ended up being front and center."

"Front and center in Vice President Turner's scandal," Fury added, leaning forward on the table, staring directly at Raven. "You, miss, have gotten yourself wrapped up in a national upset. What the hell were you thinking?"

She considered her next words carefully. "Boss's orders?"

Across the table, Hill looked down, hiding a grin behind Fury's back. Raven may not have the credibility to sass the President of the United States, but she did have the nerve to sass the Director of SHIELD. She locked eyes with Natasha, figuring that's where Raven had gotten it from. Hill wasn't entirely wrong about that.

On the other hand, Fury looked like he was about to blow a gasket. He looked at Watson. "Did you set her up to this?"

"I did say I would send her after Damian once we tracked him down," Watson recalled. "If I had known it was Damian Turner we were dealing with, I might have changed my mind. I didn't realize how public this would get."

"Goddammit," he muttered under his breath. He looked up at Raven. "You're going to be a pain in my ass, aren't you?"

"Yes, sir."

"Typical." He looked over at Natasha as if to say, 'this is your fault,' then back at Raven. "I'm putting you on clean-up duty. You were the one who told Jenkins how we can smoke out the rest of CROS. If the FBI comes calling for help, I'm forwarding them straight to you. This is your mess. You started it. You finish it."

She nodded. That didn't sound so bad to her. "Yes, sir."

Fury turned to Natasha and Sharon next. "Unrest at the White House means problems on the international level. I want you on standby. I'll need agents I can fly out in the next few days, if not tonight. Get ready."

The two nodded in affirmation, and Fury pointed at the door. "Out, all three of you. And for once in your careers, stay out of trouble."

Raven, Natasha, and Sharon stood up and left without another word, but they caught the others smirking at them as they went. They knew they were Fury's problem children. They caused issues on a regular basis. Most of the time, it was on Fury's behalf, but they couldn't make his life easy all the time, now could they?

Sharon nudged Raven once they were out of the room. "How much paperwork have you got after that mission?"

"More than I wanna think about," she groaned. 

"Good," Natasha decided. "While you chip away at that, you can tell me what you've been doing for the past month."

~

An hour later, the three of them were gathered in the Espionage lounge, laptops in front of them. Raven had shown Natasha and Sharon reports and video evidence from the warehouse and how the CROS hostages had snuck into SHIELD, her weapons bust with Spider-Man and the package she had stolen, Hart's death and how she had taken the CROS base in D.C., her visit with Brooks at the FBI base, and Alexis Roberts's capture. 

"I wondered why Turner was so miffed about you," Sharon noted, scrolling through her report to check it before hitting 'submit.' "He looked like he could barely stand you. Didn't realize how long you had been a nuisance."