Heavy Fire

There must have been a storm near the dock because the ocean was getting riled up when the agents piled out of the jet. You couldn't hear anyone unless they were standing next to you and half-shouting. Thankfully, the rain hadn't decided to pour down just yet, so their visibility wasn't compromised, but there was much virtue in the 'yet.' If the cloud cover was any indicator, the storm was moving toward them. 

Shipping containers were stacked in aisles as far as the eye could see. Occasionally there was a watchtower poking out from between the stacks, but there was only one in close vicinity. All the workers had been asked to leave the area, so no one was milling about. It was just SHIELD and their target, which didn't reassure Raven.

"There's no way we're going to be able to search this whole dock," Bryan pointed out once they were all standing outside the jet. He used his helmet comm rather than compete with the nearby ocean. 

"Makes you wonder why they only sent one unit," Raven added, looking around. "I'm not-"

"Take it up with Mission Control later," Doug told her. "We're not going to be able to cover ground fast enough in only two groups. Split the teams again. Nobody goes alone."

"Yes, sir," they responded, though Raven slightly less enthusiastically. Splitting up even further was the last thing she felt like doing right now. This felt more like a setup every minute, but no one else seemed to be on the same page. 

They split into groups of two and three. To her surprise, Smith refused to move more than three steps away from Raven. It ended up that she and Smith were the one group of two, and everyone else ended up in a group of three. 

Advancing parallel to the edge of the dock, every group took an aisle. Raven and Smith were closest to the edge, with the ocean crashing on their left. To their right, the other groups took every other aisle. 

Smith took the lead, which seemed to be their system nowadays. Raven didn't mind; now seemed like a prudent time to be looking over her shoulder anyway. Might as well make it her job between the two of them. 

They really only had eyes to depend on at the moment. The ocean was too loud to enable them to listen for any attackers. There were no such things as footsteps out here. Only movement. 

After about a minute, she heard Smith calling to her but couldn't quite make out the words. "What???"

He looked back at her so she could hear him better. "You worried?"

"Are you?"

"You said they shouldn't have sent only one unit. Think something's gonna happen?"

Not that Smith heard it, but she scoffed. "Finally paying attention to those red flags waving in the wind, are we?"

Before the next intersection, Smith paused near the crate on their right. "Look, every time you've said something's up, it happens. You clocked those bombs in that warehouse long before I did, and you sniffed out those hostages days before anyone else did."

"So you were paying attention."

"Why do you think I'm with you?"

She took half a second to appreciate the sentiment. Smith may bicker with her more than anyone else alive, but he also trusted her judgment more than the other agents at the moment. 

Raven looked around again. Lots of noise cover, a giant maze of shipping containers, out in the middle of nowhere, and only one unit to answer for. If someone wanted to kidnap or kill SHIELD agents, this was definitely the way to do it. 

"Robin?"

"...this is a trap."

"For us?"

"For SHIELD agents, maybe."