Chapter 6: He Has Chemistry With Everyone He Sings With, Including Reggie

I wake up with tears streaming down my face. I look around and make sure that I'm still in Julie's bedroom. Thankfully, I am. I look at her alarm clock, and it read 5:54 am I have to be up for school in like an hour, so I decide to get up and get dressed to work on Bright in the studio. Jules and I stayed up till about 11 last night working on the song, when Ray told us to go to bed. I got dressed in a cropped Nike t-shirt, ripped jeans, and my air forces. As I was walking out the door I grabbed Luke's flannel and put it on bracing for the cool mornings of LA.

Jules had the song down. She was going to nail it, intentionally or not. I go into the kitchen where Luke had given me the song and picked up and apple from the island. I walked out the back door, eating my apple, onto the narrow, stone path once again, down to the studio doors. I open them and see Alex laying on the floor, next to the couch. Reggie is on the couch with his bass on his lap, obviously he'd fallen asleep strumming. I walk over to the bathroom in the back tossing my apple that had about 7 bites taken out of it.

I look around the room trying to find Luke, then I see him. He's sitting in the loft and I can hear faint scribbles over the heavy breathing of Reg and Alex. He notices me and waves for me to go up there with him. I sigh and go over to the ladder and I climb up. As soon as he sees me he smiles and closes, what I'm assuming is his song book.

"What are you doing up before Julie?" he asks, obviously amused.

"I don't think last night was long enough for me to work on the song," I look up at him. This statement wasn't entirely a lie, but he knew I wasn't telling the truth.

"It doesn't matter how long you've had with the song! Y/N, I know that you and Julie are gonna rock it!" he gets excited and tries to grab my wrists again, but his hands go right through mine.

I sigh, wanting to just touch him once, "Do you wanna go down and work on it with me?"

He clears his throat softly, "Um, yeah."

He poofs down to the piano and I stand up, making my way down the ladder. He sits on the bench and I hop onto the piano and sit crisscross.

"Oh nah," he says patting the rather small bench.

I look at him. I'm not as small as Julie is. I'm taller than her by a couple inches and I know that I wear bigger clothes than her to hide my body.

"Well come on," he says with a smile on his face.

I sigh and sit next to him. Surprisingly, we both fit without "touching" each other. His fingers start to softly play the familiar intro to the song. I wait for the melody to pick up, because I want Julie to have the most solos in the song. After all, it is her getting back into the music program, not me. We both sit there for a long time vocalizing and sharing quick glances at each other.

Reggie and Alex wake up, both of them staring at us, when the part of the girl and guy duets go back and forth. I smile and can't help but look at Luke, who was already looking at me. We sit there just looking in each other's eyes while I finish the song vocalizing with an absent Julie. My alarm to get up for school goes off. It's already 7:30? I look at my phone breaking the eye contact and turn off the alarm.

"That was amazing!" Reggie says enthusiastically, earning a hit from Alex. He made me jump. How long were they watching?

"I uh- I gotta go," I quickly rise from the piano bench and walk out the door, putting my phone in my back pocket. Before I could make it to where Luke had appeared the first night of meeting them, Alex poofed into the exact same spot. "Ahh! I am never going to get used to that."

"You felt something when you were singing with Luke, didn't you?" Alex was looking right into my eyes with a huge grin on his face.

I look down, "Yeah, so?"

"Y/N, that wasn't just a one-way feeling. I've never seen Luke like this before. Back in the 90's when he was in high school... he was that one guy all of the girls liked, because he was so bad. He was the biggest player. I don't like speaking poorly of my bestfriend, but it's the truth. He never broke hearts, though. It always the girls that left him. Then they tried to say that he slept with them and left. It wasn't true." Alex was looking at me with sympathetic eyes.

"I had no idea," I said softly. "Alex, you've known him a long time. This has never happened?"

"He has chemistry with everyone he sings with, even Reggie," he chuckles, "but throughout the years of Sunset Curve, I have never seen him sing with that much admiration in his eyes. Except... well I'll let him tell you about that time in his life. It isn't my place to share."

I hear my name being called by Julie. "Thanks Alex. You don't know how much this means to me." I run up towards the house passing Alex. Julie sees me and motioned towards the door. She asks me if I've eaten breakfast and I just nod. I can't get what Alex said out of my head.