Chapter 8: Wait Were Those Holograms?

"Hey! Where did the rest of the band go?" The tech guy walked out onstage. Julie and I were just standing there smiling, not knowing what to say.

One of the members of Dirty Candy, the girl in the purple asks, "Wait were those holograms?" Carrie nudged her arm, offended.

"Yes! That's exactly what the were!" Julie says. I know that they need more of an explanation.

"Before the show, I plugged in a hard drive to to the ceiling projector," I say gesturing towards the projector that isn't even on, "I would explain it more, but it involves algorithm and science stuff."

"Alright everyone," our principle raises her voice, "shows over, get back to class!"

Everyone turns around and is walking out of the gym, while Jules and I sit with our feet dangling off the stage. Miss Harrison comes over to us, "We are so sorry for not asking for permission, but I just wanted to prove that I belong here," Julie gives her a hopeful smile.

"As amazing as that was," Miss Harrison says hesitantly, "your spot has already been filled," she points to a kid that has an instrument entirely too big for him as he hauls it down the stage steps.

"Oh come on! That thing is way too big for him," I say looking at Julie, then Miss Harrison.

"He'll grow into it. Sorry Julie, but my hands are tied," I could hear the hurt in Miss Harrison's voice.

Our principle walks over to us, she was obviously eavesdropping, "Mine aren't. As much as I didn't like this little stunt you two pulled, I will not go down in history as the principle who kicked Julie Molina out of the music program. When either of you win your first Grammy, I want to be thanked."

She walks away and Julie hugs me. Miss Harrison has a wide smile on her face, "Congratulations! And wonderful job Y/N! I've never heard you sing like that before."

Julie jumps off the stage towards Flynn a couple feet back. "Thanks Miss Harrison!" I say following her.

"When did you guys start playing with the hologram band?" Flynn asks confused.

Julie looks at me and before I can say anything to save our butts, Julie blabbers, "We aren't a band. They're a band! A hologram band. Definitely holograms. " Mental facepalm. Of course they're a band Jules.

Flynn forces a laugh, "Yeah I saw. Why have you guys been keeping those cute boys a secret?"

Julie laughs, "There's a reason for that-"

"It's kinda crazy actually," I say.

"Oh yeah? I'm all about crazy! Let's hear it," Flynn gets excited.

I took a deep breath, our best friend deserves to know, even if she thinks we have gone off the deep end, "Okay, so they're um-"

"From Sweden!" Julie cuts me off. "Yeah turns out they aren't only great at making meatballs but also good at making music. Yeah so they play there, I stream them here, we play together, they leave and that's it. Anyways whos excited for me to be back in the music program?" Julie holds up jazz hands and I smile, hoping Flynn will believe the insane story Jules just told her.

"Are you lying to me Jules?" Flynn asks, offended.

I sigh, then Julie does, "Yeah. Yes I am."

"Since when have we lied to each other?" Flynn looks at just Julie. I think she sensed that I was not going to say the boys were from Sweden.

"I'm sorr-" Julie tries to say.

"I'm sorry? That's all you got?" Flynn scoffs, then turns around and runs out of the gym.