thirty; the god doesn't care

━━━the god doesn't care

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

 Battles were not Callahan's forte. Close-range combat was easy, and she loved it even more if it was just her and one other person, but life was never that easy. She used to think being a demi-god was equivalent to being a sidekick, and the gods were the heroes, people who always saved the day. Now, she knew so much

So she squared her shoulders and lowered her body, ready to run. The boys in front of her were on fire with anger, and Callahan was right there next to them in metaphor. Right now, though, she was terrified.

Ephialtes and Otis decided to throw a paper-mache mountain the size of Percy's apartment building at the three of them, making the three of them bolt toward a trench. Shrapnel rained down around them, stinging Callahan's arms.

"How are we doing this?" She asked and then ducked to avoid an extra-large piece of paper mache.

"I'll take Otis again?" Jason called over the noise. "Or do you want him this time?"

Callahan shrugged, glancing over at Percy to see what he thought.

"We attack together," he said. "Otis first, because he's weaker. Take him out quickly and move to Ephialtes. Bronze and gold together—maybe that'll keep them from re-forming a little longer."

Jason smiled dryly, "Why not? But Ephialtes isn't just going to stand around while we kill his brother."

Callahan nodded, "I could distract Ephialtes while you two take care of Otis. Then we all join back up for him."

Percy nodded stiffly, clearly unhappy with Callahan's decision but fully aware it was the best plan.

"On three?" Jason asked.

"Why wait?"

Together the three of them charged, running at Otis full speed. Callahan veered off at the last moment, waiting for Jason to blast the giant back before she dove after him. The golden boy's blast of wind had resulted in Ephialtes being buried by his brother's dropped mountain.

Callahan pushed herself up, catching the end of the wind to land on the monster's chest. The ground beneath her rumbled and she swore, digging one blade into his armor to keep from falling, and began to pull herself up.

As she grew closer to the giant's face, she could tell that the thing was only stunned, and it wasn't going to take long before he woke up. So, she drove her blade into the giant's eye. It sank in with a schlick, something clear oozing out around the edges. Callahan winced, yanking the blade out and swinging the other to cut off the tip of his nose. The giant yowled, hot air gusting past her face. It smelled disgusting and the ground was shaking. She could tell she was losing her footing, so Callahan drove her blade into the giant's cheek and used her body weight to slide down the side of his face.

Now, that got the giant to scream, and Callahan tucked herself into a ball as she hit the ground rolling. Her shoulder burned, and she swallowed down a yelp. The ground was shaking as Ephialtes rose to his feet, and she could hear Otis screaming at Percy and Jason.

She pulled herself up and turned, swinging her swords in an arc and cutting through the paper mache the giant threw at her. The monster roared, pointing his finger at her.

"Gaea wants you dead, little girl!" Ephiatles screamed, "I can rip you to pieces easily!"

Callahan ran, dodging more raining debris as she moved toward the trench her, Jason, and Percy were first in.