twenty-five; set the hounds running, and come home

━━━set the hounds running, and come home

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

The heat of the day made sweat puddle on the back of her neck, her heart thundering in her chest as she ran through the streets. She didn't turn to look behind her, didn't need to confirm the monster, because that's what it was, was chasing her. She could tell just from the way the crowd parted that whatever it was following her.

    Her lungs hurt. They burned inside her chest, screaming at her to slow down and take a break. She couldn't, not even a little, but she wanted to. She pushed past a gaping woman and stumbled into an alleyway, rushing down the wet cobblestone and gasping in relief when a backdoor swung open for her.

    She stumbled in with a thick cough, moving into the shadowy room with quiet steps. Nothing about this felt good, but she could almost hear the louder than natural steps of The Woman. She had taken to calling her 'The Woman'. whatever she was, she--it had no one she wanted to know. Cal swallowed, running her fingers along the hallway's drywalls, and moved further into the mystery.

    The bang of a slamming door behind her made her jump. She quickened her pace and stumbled into a dimly lit room. A door that wasn't there before it swung shut, 

"You're fine now."

    A woman was smiling at her, blonde hair piled on top of her head and fingers silently weaving a thick braid of velvet ribbon.

    "Please, I mean you no harm."

    Callahan swallowed, turning to glance at the shut door behind her, "What was that?"

    "The spirit of a woman named Lorena. She tells people their fate in the hope they will join her in the afterlife."

    "So what she said is--"

    "True?" The woman hummed, "Sadly yes."

    "But--"

    "Please, Callahan, sit. You're making me nervous."

    "I'm making you nervous?" She scoffed, "I just got chased by a fucking spirit into a creepy room where some random woman is sitting, weaving, and telling me that I'm gonna die, and you're the one that's nervous?"

    The woman tilted her head, "Well, I guess you're right. I apologize for that, truly. It's been a long time since I talked to a mortal."

    She blinked in response, "who are you?"

    The goddess smiled, eyes sparkling as she laid her weaving to rest. She turned her face to look behind her, looking at an empty fireplace made of stone and painted tile,

    "People call me Adeona." She turned back to Callahan, "I help the lost. And you, my darling, are lost."

    "Obviously." She retorted, moving forward a step to the offered seat, "Are you trying to help me? Cause I don't want it."

    "Are you sure?" Adeona smiled lightly, "I can take you to them."

    Callahan's heart stuttered. Gods, she was tired and dirty and she wanted to see the both of them again, but her wrist still ached from the spirits burning grip.

    "You're not warning me not to?"

    Adeona smiled and shrugged, "I don't think I can stop you."

    The fireplace behind her lit suddenly, the sound of fire rushing into the little room and filling the room with a little heat. Callahan gasped at the sound, groaning when the heat sucked out the cool air from before.