sixteen; under the sea

━━━under the sea

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

As far as she could see the world was grey, bleak and empty, covered in water. Callahan swallowed and stepped forward, her feet sinking into the thick sand beneath her. She turned, looking out behind her to find nothing except a wall of mirrored reflection. 

"Hello?"  She turned back around and face the same empty world, "HELLO?"

She swallowed, feeling for her bracelets and some semblance of safety. This whole world, whatever it was, wasn't safe. The whole of it was deep and primal fear, weird and strange and not real. Callahan swallowed and stepped forward, lips pursed. 

The sand felt like mud and grime and clung to her almost like glue. She plowed forward, stopping when a voice shook the strange landscape. 

"Hye-Jin Lee." 

The voice was male and milky, uncleared and deep like there were multiple people speaking at once. 

"I don't think we've met." 

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

Annabeth Chase made Callahan Lee a promise when she was 15. She promised the girl, the girl with pretty brown eyes and a sweetheart smile, that no matter what she would save her, always and every time. Annie kept her promise, and she wasn't about to fail it now. 

Watching the girl fall into the hard and dark ocean, Annie felt the world stop. 

A young blonde came storming out of the Big House annoyed as Hades, her anger rolling off her in waves, blonde ponytail swinging behind her. Little Callahan stood up from her stump and watched wide-eyed as her best friend stormed by her, all rage and summer thunder. 

"Annie!" She yelled, chasing after the girl with a concerned frown, "wait up!" 

She stumbled when she caught with her, hand wrapping around her hand. 

"Annie, what's wrong?" 

"gods that little twerp!" The blonde raged, fingers mindlessly entwining with Cal's, "He doesn't know ANYTHING! and we're two weeks away from the solstice!" 

The brunette smiled a little, tugging at Annie, "Annie, he's zoinked." 

The blonde stared and Cal smiled a little more, 

"He's out of it, and he's new to all of this. Give him a moment to gain his ground." 

"Yeah, but--" 

"as your elder and therefore superior, I am commanding you to calm down!" She grinned at Annie's indignant huff, "Come on, blondie, the volleyball courts are open." 

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

His ears were ringing. Loud and clear, banging against his skull like pots and pans, and the chaos around him sounded faraway, muffled. He watched with wide eyes as Callahan tumbled over the side of the boat, tugged back by a thick pink tendril. He couldn't move, heavy weight and pounding headache keeping him from saving her.