fourteen; I truly do.

━━━I truly do.

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

The wind buffered against Callahan's clothes, making her eyes water. She blinked away the unwelcomed tears as she stepped next to Percy silently. The two of them watched the waves for a second without saying a word, the silence sitting heavily on both of their shoulders weighing down against the wind. Callahan watched the water swirl, the ship cutting through the waves with ease, and gods, some part of her wanted to leap in and never leave. Stay there where it's cold and vast and no one, no person anyway, can harm you.

She sighed and felt Percy glance her way, his mouth parted like he was gonna say something. She shook her head, keeping her face on the sea.

"My mom told me you were going to be my doom," She muttered quietly, barely audible over the wind, "Whatever the fuck that means."

Percy started, turning to stare at Callahan with wide eyes, "I--"

"Don't, Percy." She sighed, leaned her elbows on the railing of the ship, swallowing down her heart as it tried to burst out of her throat, "Gods, I don't know why she told me but for some reason, she threw this at me and now I just have this thing," She breathed out a rush of anxiety and stress and tears, "and I--I had a nightmare and it terrified me and--.and it made me scared of you."

She laughed, and turned to face the gaping boy next to her, "I was scared of you cause of a stupid nightmare and a lie my mom told because that's easier than talking about it, and I was so scared that you would hate me for whatever reason if you found out and I didn't want you to blame yourself because you would. Fuck, you probably are now. And Gods, Percy, you walk around with the weight of the world on your shoulders, you were told to save the world when you were practically 12 years old, and you did save it when you were 16 and since then you've never stopped."

She stepped toward him, raising a hand in a silent question. He nodded minutely and Callahan placed her palm on his jaw, his warmth sinking into her skin,

"Percy, I'm sorry. I was selfish and stupid and thought shutting you out would be better than dealing with it," She laughed softly as he leaned into her hand, "gods, I was just like those stupid movie couples we promised we would never be."

Percy huffed a laugh, turning to press his lips into her soft skin, "I could never hate you, Lucky, I couldn't. In all honesty, I think I was made to love you."

He pulled her into him, arms wrapping around her waist to keep her anchored to him, "I thought I had done something wrong."

Callahan swallowed, the familiar and sinking feeling of guilt settling in her stomach. She buried her head into Percy's chest and pressed her lips onto the fabric, hoping he could feel her kiss through it,

"I'm sorry," She murmured, "Gods, I'm sorry." a watery and weak laugh broke out of her, and she sniffled, "you know, I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want you to blame yourself. Fat luck that was."

He touched her jaw softly, pulling away to stare at her, "You don't need to apologize."

"but--"

"But you hurt me because you were lashing out, Cal. You do that when you're angry, and I understand that." He pressed a kiss onto her forehead, "I'm just glad you finally told me. I don't like fighting with you. I deserve some of the blame."

"Percy--"

"No, Cal." Percy pulled her closer, held her tighter, "you were in pain and I hurt you even more. I mean, I accused you of not loving me instead of trying to talk to you. You don't deserve that, and you need to know I trust you, with everything in me. I was stupid and emotional and hurt and confused and I just--I just need you to know that I would never hurt you. Ever. If I ever hurt you or Annie, I don't think I could live with myself."