four; a bowl of strawberries

━━━a bowl of strawberries

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

Callahan's chest was tight like someone had wrapped a giant rubber band around it and kept squeezing tighter and tighter. She stood at the back of the deck, watching the landscape zoom by as they soared overhead. The horizon helped her stomach calm down, helped to stop it from rolling. She leaned forward, against the railing, and hung her head.

"You okay?" Frank came and stood next to her, his voice soft in the wind.

Callahan looked up and watched him, his eyes heavy and comforting, "Yeah, Frankie, I'm fine."

He sighed, "Are you sure? Have you told Percy or Annie yet?"

Cal shook her head and breathed out her nose. "No, not yet. I don't wanna tell him, Frankie."

"You should. They're your..."

"Partners, Frank. You can say it, it ain't a dirty word."

He nodded and swallowed heavily, "yeah sorry, I'm just new to this."

Callahan nodded, "So is everyone else. And yeah, I know they're my partners, but this is different Frank. I can't even begin to explain what happened and why I threw up. I can't answer those questions, Frank, I can't put that weight on their shoulders, especially his."

Frank rested a hand on her shoulder, warm and solid and comforting. "Can you tell me?"

Callahan snorted derisively and shook her head, "Gods--I--"

"It's okay, Cal, you don't have to. I'm just here if you need me, okay?"

Callahan's heart warmed, and she looked up at the boy. He was tall and kind and sure, with a soft and welcoming face. She smiled and nodded, and he nodded back.

"Cal?"

Annie was standing behind the two of them, her grey gaze curious. Callahan hummed in response, stepping away from Frank with a nod.

She approached Annie and smiled lightly, her hand coming to rest on the blonde's hip. Annie shook her head in response,

"Come on, we're meeting in the mess hall."

Cal nodded and followed her below deck.

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

Cal had been left behind while the other five went off on their adventures. At first, she went onto the top deck and breathed in the cool air, but she couldn't bring herself to sit still. Her back felt stiff, and her body was alight with electricity, buzzing and crackling beneath her skin. She went back below deck, her feet carrying her back to the mess hall before she stopped in front of Jason's room.

The girl sitting by his bed was pretty, hair choppy and full of braids. A bright feather hung amongst them.

"Piper, right?" Cal asked, stepping into the doorway.

Piper nodded, smiling tightly. Her blade lay out beside her and Cal's eyes narrowed slightly.

"He okay?" She asked.

Piper shrugged, "I don't know. I hope so."

Cal nodded, her lips dry. "Umm...well, I'm getting some strawberries from the mess hall. Do you want anything? Water, tea?"