twenty-one; the river, drowning

━━━the river, drowning

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

With the number of times, Callahan had almost drowned, she wondered if maybe she was supposed to die.

The water grabbed her and dragged her under, swirling around her in a mess of white bubbles. She clamped her mouth shut, begging the water to stay away, her heart pumping and lungs aching. The bubbles kept her from seeing anything, her eyes stinging in the cold water. She swore if this was when she actually died she would definitely murder Percy. And maybe her mom, too.

A couple of feet away Piper was flailing, Jason farther away with his sword out. He swung wildly, hitting nothing but air. Callahan's throat throbbed, her fingers slippery as they grasped at her twin blades.

"I'm truly, very sorry about this," Achelous said, forty feet to her right.

Jason lunged toward him, summoning the winds to lift him out of the river, but Achelous was quicker and more powerful. A curl of water slammed into Jason and sent him under once more.

"Stop it!" Piper screamed.

Callahan was just trying to keep her head above water, fear curling like hot thick oil around her lungs and heart. She flailed her hands out, stirring the water and almost keeping her afloat.

"I'm afraid I can't stop," Achelous sighed, "I can't let Hercules have my other horn. It would be mortifying."

A rush of water pulled Cal under, her knees knocking hard against the rough stone riverbed. She hissed, water rushing in down her throat. It was cold and sharp, stinging the tenderness of her throat. Her lungs heaved, and when she broke the water the air scrapped. She coughed, water spilling over her chin and joining the swirling water pool.

Thunder boomed above her, and she turned to catch Jason with his hands facing the darkening sky.

"None of that, son of Jupiter," Achelous chided, "If you call lightning, you'll fry your precious friends."

The water pulled him under again.

"Let him go!" Piper screamed, "I promise I won't let Hercules get your horn!"

When the girl screamed, her voice was soft and persuasive, and it made her feel good.

Achelous seemed to believe her as well, "I believe you mean that."

"I do!" Piper promised, flailing a little in the water, "Hercules is despicable, but please first let my friends go!"

Callahan was getting tired, her arms dragging water. Jason was being held underwater, and she was scared. She was so scared.

Achelous looked down at Piper softly, "I see. You would be my Deianira. You would be my bride to compensate for my loss."

Cal choked a little, exchanging worried glances with Piper as they both struggled to stay afloat.

"Ah, I understand." Achelous nodded, a smile growing on his blue face, "You were too modest to suggest this in front of your boyfriend. You are right, of course. I would treat you much better than a son of Zeus would. I could make things right after all these centuries. I could not save Deianira, but I could save you."

She would say she was being ignored if she weren't so glad.

Piper raised her arms, smiling sweetly, "Lift me up, please."