twelve; eagles

━━━eagles

.・゜゜・───・゜゜・.

 Roman eagles belonged to the lowest level of Tartarus in Cal's opinion. the gigantic creatures swooped down around them and deposited three Roman soldiers unto the sunbaked concrete. When the middle one, the scrawniest one, lifted his visor Callahan groaned. 

"Oh. it's you." She muttered to hazel, who cracked a weak smile. 

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked, and Cal winced. 

"Dude. Lower the volume." 

The scarecrow glared, and Hazel drew her spatha in retaliation. 

The odds were honestly fair. Octavian himself wasn't that much of a threat, no more than 100lbs soaking wet, but the two on either side of them looked mean. they were seasoned warriors, glaring like lackies from an action movie, and Cal glanced at Annie. The gears in her head were turning, staring at the Romans in front of them. Hazel was gripping her spatha with white knuckles and PIper's hands were up in a placating gesture. 

"Octavian" Piper spoke, "What happened at the camp was a setup. We can explain." 

The man shook his head violently, "WE CAN'T HEAR YOU. Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

Callahan watched with wide eyes as Annie tossed her dagger over the side of the deck, the bronze metal splashing into the cold ocean. She turned to stare at the blonde as Octavian began to scream, 

"Why did you do that? that-that could've been spoils of war! evidence!" 

Annie smiled like the dumb blondes do in movies, and Callahan realized what was happening. She smirked, winking at the boy to the right of Octavian as he glowered at her. The blonde boy started to yell at them, commanding them to drop their weapons onto the sunbaked concrete. 

"weapons on the deck--"

All around them the saltwater surged, wiping the deck and pulling the Romans into the freezing water. Callahan jumped back, eyes wide as the boys disappeared. When the water washed away, Percy was standing on the deck, hip jutted and Annie's dagger dangling from his fingers. 

"you dropped this," He said, totally poker face. 

Annie broke into a grin, jumping forward into his arms, "I love you!" 

Cal grinned as well, keeping back as the two embraced. When Percy and Annie broke apart, he started forward, hand reaching out of Cal, before he stopped. Cal stuttered, feet stilling as the two of them stared at each other. between them Annie stared, heart breaking just a little bit. 

"Come on, guys, we gotta go." Hazel broke the tense silence, a worried frown pulling at her lips. 

Below them, paddling in the water, Octavian yelled "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!" 

Percy smiled down at them, voice condescending and dry as he responded, "tempting." 

"what?" Octavian yelled back, drowning the man he was clinging to. 

"Nothing," Percy yelled back down. He turned to them, smiling lightly, and nodded toward the port, "we should go." 

The three nodded in return, Callahan's eyes stuck to the way Percy's hair plastered his forehead. She stepped behind Hazel quietly, hand reaching to touch softly at Piper's fisted hand. The girl responded silently, opening her palm and intertwining her fingers with Cal's, gave her a squeeze for support.