Are We The Bad Guys?

Tw: swearing, weapons, mild angst

"You what?" Sapnap exclaims when Dream finishes telling his story.

"You lost George?" Karl asks, looking equally shocked.

Dream sighs and scrubs at his face. "Yes, I lost George. He's not an object, you know. He can take care of himself."

The tears glimmering in Sapnap's eyes are gone and Karl's cheeks are dry. Dream winces when he sees the shock in both of their gazes, wondering if Sapnap will ever forgive him for losing their best friend. Wondering if he'll ever forgive himself for it, even if they get George back.

Sapnap's eyes soften a little, like he can read the guilt weighing him down. He puts a hand on Dream's shoulder, warm and comforting. "Don't worry, bro. We'll find him," he says, and the words thud into Dream, sending his heart hammering.

"Yeah, no worries," Karl adds, offering him a half-smile. "Like you said, George can take care of himself until we do. He'll be okay, Dream."

Dream manages a nod, despite the lump in his throat and the tears burning his eyes. He scrubs a hand over his face and takes a deep breath. "Okay," he says firmly. "We'll find him. And we'll find your cure, too," he adds to Sapnap, offering his best friend a smile. "It's the least we can do."

"Yeah, it is," Sapnap mutters, but his eyes are dancing despite everything and it brings a smile to Dream's lips.

"Dream," Techno calls, and the three of them turn in unison. Techno gestures them over to where Bad, Skeppy, Quackity, and Montero are all sitting in a circle by the wall of the caf.

"What do they want now?" Sapnap grumbles. Karl just squeezes his arm, loops an arm around his waist, and makes a show of helping him to group. Sapnap tries to look annoyed, but he can't hide the blush on his neck, or the way he subtly leans into Karl. When Dream smirks at him, Sapnap just flips him off, his cheeks turning red too.

The second Karl and Sapnap have their backs to him, Dream's smile fades. He wonders if him and George look that happy when they're together. He wonders if he looks at George the same way Sapnap looks at Karl. Something tells him he does.

"Oh, Dreeeam," Bad calls, and Dream snaps out of his daze. He rolls his eyes and moves to join their group. While the other sit down, Karl helping Sapnap lean against the wall, Dream stays standing. He doesn't know if he can get through this conversation without pacing. Not with all the nervous energy moving through him, keeping him from breaking down completely.

He catches Quackity glaring at him, with enough intensity that it takes Dream aback. He's sitting in a corner, looking grim, and the daggers he shoots at Dream make it clear he's heard what happened to George and blames him for it.

Dream hadn't even been sure if they were friends. If they were, they had a weird way of showing it.

"Okay, reunion's over," Techno says dryly, looking around at all of them. "We have a few issues to address."

"George got kidnapped," Skeppy whispers loudly, eyes wide like he's still processing it. Dream knows he's not trying to piss him off, but he still feels the urge to strangle him until Bad steps forward protectively and shoots Dream a glare.

Then, he turns his glare to Skeppy. "We know, you muffinhead, you don't need to point it out again."

"I'm just saying," Skeppy mutters, looking to Dream apologetically. Dream's anger dies down a little and he uncurls his fists.

"Do we know who took him?" Montero asks, looking surprisingly calm. "Let's start there. Dream, did you see anything?"

Dream blinks, surprised at how collected Montero sounds. "I - not really," he stammers. "They drove a van, though. It was dark blue and looked kinda muddy." An image of the van flashes in his mind and how they'd shoved George into it...