Getaway Driver

Tw: blood, weapons

Dream drives them carefully out of the rubble.

Their car breaks free from the smoke as they leave the parking lot behind. Sapnap sits beside him, holding his baseball bat like it's the most precious thing on the planet. George sits in the back, his knees pulled up to his chest.

"Shouldn't George get a weapon?" Dream says quietly.

Sapnap glances at him thoughtfully but all he says is, "He has us."

"He needs to protect himself," Dream insists. "We can't always be there. What if we're trapped when he needs us? It's not like any of us really know how to use a weapon but it would be good if each of us carried one anyway."

"Fine," Sapnap says. He unsheathes one of his kitchen knives and twists around in his seat to give it to George. "Don't stab yourself, Gogy. We don't need you bleeding out before we even get to fight any zombies."

"Dream's already fought a zombie," George replies as he takes the knife gingerly. "He saved me."

Sapnap turns to Dream questioningly, but something else captures their attention. Dream drives them into the streets of Florida and they finally see the damage the apocalypse has caused.

Ruined buildings with windows smashed and fires burning in the doorways, rubble strewn over the ground, cars that have collided and left bloody debris. Dream feels his stomach lurch as he takes it in.

"Watch out," Sapnap warns, and Dream looks to where he's pointing. Half a dozen zombies, as grotesque and mutilated as in the movies, wander around aimlessly, dragging their feet through the rubble.

"Is this real?" Dream says aloud. His head is spinning as he notices a hoard of zombies clustered around something - or someone. Dream tries not to imagine what - who - it might be.

"Yup," Sapnap says grimly. "Keep driving. Noise attracts them so we have to go now, while they're distracted.

While they're distracted. Dream tries not to picture what Sapnap means. He focuses on driving, navigating slowly through the broken streets.

They reach an intersection. Cars are piled on top of each other in the middle of the road, blocking their entry. There's more bodies too.

"Won't the bodies attract them?" George says from the back seat. "We should get out of here."

"Street's blocked," Sapnap says. "We'll have to take our chances outside." He flips his bat and opens the car door. Dream stares after him in disbelief, but Sapnap doesn't seem to notice. "Come on, guys."

Dream feels a hand on his shoulder and he almost jumps out of his skin. But it's only George, who gives him a small smile.

"That's for scaring me in the parking lot," he says jokingly. "I nearly had a heart attack."

"At least I apologized," Dream mutters. "But fair enough, I guess."

"We should follow Sapnap, right?" George says. He's holding his knife in his fist and his knuckles are turning white. "He knows what he's doing?"

"He definitely does. Sap's seen more zombie movies than I've seen movies, period."

George laughs quietly. "Okay, just making sure. I'll follow your guys' lead then. Just don't get me killed."

"I promise," Dream says, and the words weigh heavily on him. He wants to say something else, to grab George's hand and reassure him, but just then, Sapnap pokes his head into the car.

"Hello? Are y'all coming or not? Stop staring into each other's eyes and move or we'll all die."

"Calm down," Dream grumbles and he and George exchange a look of shared annoyance. Sapnap just rolls his eyes and leaves them behind. They get out of the car and George stays close to Dream's side as they move through the ruined street. Distant growls fill the air and the sound chills Dream to the bone. He notices George tuck his hands into his sleeves, the knife sticking out of one of them.

"Where are we going?" Dream asks as they weave through splintered cars.

"Somewhere safe," Sapnap says. "We need to get out of the city. Once we pass the blocked up streets, we can find another car and drive out. We just have to get through this first."

They keep quiet, glancing around them constantly, weapons hefted. They see more zombies that are... distracted, Dream thinks, wincing. The feeding zombies don't spot them, and Sapnap seems almost disappointed when they reach a clear area, where the streets are less blocked and there are less zombies. He looks around, tapping his baseball bat against his leg as though looking for an enemy to pick a fight with.

"Stop looking for a fight, you idiot," George says, noticing too. "We're out, let's go."

Sapnap whirls around. "I'm not looking for a fight, I'm scanning our surroundings. It's survival tactics 101, idiot."

"Or, we can just find a car and leave and then we don't have to scan our surroundings!"

"Guys, calm down," Dream says, moving to stand between them. "Arguing isn't gonna help us. We should prioritize."

"Explain that to him," Sapnap says, jerking his chin at George. "I know our priorities. I'm trying to keep us safe."

"We know," Dream says. "So let's work together." He puts a hand on George's shoulder and George slowly moves to stand next to him. The frustration drains from his face as he locks eyes with Dream, and all Dream sees in his gaze is fear. "We're all scared," Dream says quietly. "Turning on each other won't help."

Sapnap returns to scanning their surroundings. "First thing's first, we need a car," he tells them. "Let's split up and look for one."

George snorts. "Is that what your movies told you? Don't people usually die when they split up?"

"We don't have another choice," Sapnap says, glaring at him. "Do you see a goddamn rescue team coming to save us?"

George opens his mouth to retort, but just then, the low growl of an engine cuts through the quiet. Dream feels the ground tremble and wonders if Sapnap spoke too soon. Surely someone is still alive, and maybe they're looking for survivors too.

"Maybe it's the military," Sapnap says turning toward the vibration. "They might still be alive."

The humming of the engine gets closer and closer. With a deafening pop, a car bursts out of a nearby street, skidding the corner. It's a convertible, painted bright, cherry-red and with the hood pulled down to reveal three strangers. Dream and his friends gape at the survivors, who screech to a stop beside them. The convertible leaves a screen of fumes that smells toxic and acidic. George doubles over coughing and Dream keeps a hand on his shoulder protectively.

"Anyone need a getaway driver?" a friendly voice says. The smoke clears, revealing the three survivors. A man wearing glasses drives the car and a younger guy sits next to him. The driver keeps one hand on the wheel and is holding the younger guy's hand with the other. The person who spoke sits on top of the car, halfway between the seats and the trunk. He's wearing a mismatch of bright colors that should clash terribly but instead make a statement. Wire-rimmed glasses are perched on his tousled hair. He grins easily at them. Dream's hand tightens on George's shoulder despite himself.

"Who the hell are you?" Sapnap says, staring skeptically at the guy who spoke.

"Well hello there, gorgeous," the guy says, and Sapnap flushes a dark red. "My name's Karl, and I'll be your tour guide for today. These are my associates, Bad" - he points to the driver  - "and his boyfriend, Skeppy." He makes a flourishing gesture towards the young guy, holding the driver's hand. "We can get you out of here, no fee required."

(1290 words)

------------------------------------------------------------

New characters!! I'll try and update it again on the weekend :) hope u like it so far <3