No Time Like The Present

Tw: swearing, anxiety, blood, zombies, weapons, angst

"You," Karl says, pointing at Sapnap. "Stay here. Me and Q will go scope out the premises."

"But I have a plan - " Sapnap starts to protest, but Karl cuts him off with a peck on the lips. He squeezes Sapnap's bicep and helps him lean up against a wall and eventually Sapnap gives in.

"If you get so much as a scratch on you..." Sapnap says, eyes narrowed.

"He won't, cause I'm protecting him," Quackity says, glaring at him as he brandishes his broomstick. Even though they both know he's actually not a terrible fighter, Karl and Sapnap exchange a look and Karl has to stifle a giggle at the gleam of laughter in Sapnap's eyes.

Until Sapnap winces a little as he shifts, and Karl's smile fades. "Be quick about it," Sapnap mutters, trying to play off the flicker of pain. But Karl's heart tightens as he looks at him, and the doubts he's been ignoring trickle into his mind.

What happens if they can't find a cure for him?

Cold fear hits him and he has to shut his eyes, to block out the thoughts and worries. When he opens his eyes again, Sapnap is looking at him, brows furrowed in concern. He steps toward him but Karl moves just out of reach, shooting him a smile. "We'll be back before you can miss us," he says. Then, he grabs Quackity's arm and drags him around a corner into a hallway full of zombies.

Karl stifles a shriek as the nearest zombie swings at them but Quackity blocks the attack with his broomstick and shoves the monster away. "What was that?" he asks, his tone more worried than accusing, even though Karl's just thrown them into danger on complete impulse. Even though Q could have been killed defending him.

"I'm so sorry, Alex," he starts, but Quackity grabs his arm and starts to pull him toward the open door of a classroom.

"This isn't the time to apologize, Karlos. We have zombies on our asses and if you don't want your boyfriend to follow us cause he thinks we're in danger than we should be quiet."

Karl doesn't know why, but the words bring a lump to his throat, and he nods mutely. Quackity drags him into an empty classroom, checks the corners for zombies, then shuts the door behind them. A suffocating silence suddenly fills the room, and all Karl can think is that they left Sapnap alone and injured to fend for himself while they went on a stupid hunt for zombies.

Like Quackity can read his mind, he mutters, "He'll be fine. He can defend himself even if he's injured and we left him in an empty corner with no zombies around. Worse case scenario, he can get to a classroom and block them out."

Karl tries to nod, but the words spill out before he can stop them. "We shouldn't be here. We shouldn't have left him. He's dying, Quackity."

Quackity's mouth snaps shut at the word and something flashes in his eyes, too quick for Karl to decipher it. He steps forward, putting a hand on Karl's shoulder, voice softening. "You heard what he said. According to Techno, there's a cure. We'll find it. If it's the last thing we do."

Karl trembles, and he's suddenly glad for Q's warm hand on his shoulder. He feels like he might collapse without it. "Thanks, Alex. Really."

Quackity nods sagely. "Trust me, Karlos, we'll get through this," he says. He must see something in Karl's eyes because he puts down his broomstick and beckons him in for a hug. Karl melts into his arms gladly, burying his face into his shoulder as he lets out a sob. And then, he's crying and Quackity is rubbing his back reassuringly and muttering that it'll be okay. That they'll find a cure and Sapnap will survive and they'll all live happily after.