Chapter 3

Sabrina Dubois' POV

It was Monday when I got the exciting news. My awaited job has finally arrived. I was overjoyed. I looked at the company name, Live Corp Industries. I tore the offer letter up and read the job offer.

"Dear Ms. Dubois, we are happy to tell you that you have been selected to work with us on research based in Chicago, Illinois. Please come to work on November 1st or any time after your J visa has been processed. Thank you for making us your first choice and welcome aboard! AH!" I was screaming after I read the letter.

I was running into my house to tell my father about the job offer. He was pleased but also overwhelmed. He was pleased that I finally got a job but also, but he was worried to let me go to a foreign country without friends and family.

I assured him that I can survive and that he doesn't need to worry about it. He smiled before deciding to have a little party with our neighbors and friends about my job offer.

We were setting the house for a small gathering. I told my friends; Solehah, Momo, and Sherry about the party and they told me that they will come. I was cooking a grand meal such as turkey roast, fish tacos, beef stew, and also chicken curry I learned during my trip to Malaysia.

It smelled really good as I was done serving the guests. They did not arrive yet until 8 P.M. and it was only 7:45 P.M. I still got time to get ready.

I was taking a shower in the bathroom as I was shampooing and scrubbing myself. Then, I went to the counter to blow-dry my hair. My red, curly hair was cascading my face when I finished blow dry it.

I chose to let it loose tonight as I was putting on my embroidered emerald dress. It hugged my figure perfectly, showing the right curve. I was doing my makeup in the bathroom when the bells rang.

"I got it," my older sister shouted as she was opening the door to allow the guest to come in. I was finalizing my looks before going downstairs to greet the guests. There were the Debaux, the Martins, the Debrun, and the Thomas and there were some other people that I can't recognize. Maybe it was my sister's friends and family. What the hell? It was supposed to be my party!

I was mingling around the backyard before someone came up to me as he was tapping my shoulder on the back. I turned around to see Charles Debrun, the guy that I had a crush on in high school, looking all rugged and charming looking for me. I was drinking champagne at the time and I choked on them when I saw his face.

"Hey, are you okay? Sorry if I startle you," he said apologetically as he was patting me on the back. I coughed a few times before straightening my back and smiling apologetically at him.

"Sorry, I was surprised to see you were here. I thought you were on vacation with Sophia, where is it?" I said trying to get the name on top of my head

"Denmark?" he asked, helping me out.

"Ah yes, Denmark. What happened?" I asked him as he was supposed to travel with his fiancée, Sophia, to Denmark to visit her family there.

"Yeah, she had some work to do so we did not end up going. Anyway, enough about me. What about you? I heard you got a job in the States. I mean, that's pretty awesome. New country, new place, new people. That is amazing," he said while sipping on his champagne.

"Yeah, it is great. Overwhelmed, mostly but thinking about it just makes me feel sad, you know. I will be missing my family a lot probably and I don't have more time to spend with my dad. It is a step of going into adulthood, right?" I said while looking at his beautiful face. His hazel orbs were looking at me with such intensity.

My feet turned to jelly as he was looking at me. Someone cleared their throat behind us. We turned around and saw Charles' fiancée, Sophia, was looking at us, more like glaring at us. She then smiled sweetly as she looked at Charles and smiled saccharinely at me before holding his arms.