CHAPTER 21: THE VOICE SHE LONGED FOR

When she got home, her Dad was home as she had hoped and she asked for his audience. He shrugged and motioned her into his study.

"What is the matter?" He grumbled taking a seat.

She took a seat "Actually... I have been wanting to talk to you about something for a while now." She was so nervous.

She calmed her shaky hands knowing that her Dad would not tolerate her wasting his precious time.

She breathed out "I want to talk to you about Mum."

He frowned deeply, a slight twitch of his lips was enough for her to know he wouldn't like what he was about to hear.

"I know I don't know anything about why she had left us but don't you think you are being too cruel with me?"

He raised an eyebrow yet said nothing.

"Ever since Mum left, you neglected and ignored me in all ways. You didn't even think about how I was affected by all this. You might have lost your wife but I lost both my Mum and Dad. I know it wasn't easy for you, with all due respect, I have to say that you were selfish to only think about yourself."

His frown grew deeper but he kept listening.

"I have yearned for your attention for so much which you felt no needful to give me. All the money you gave me, spent on me meant nothing without the love and care I expected from you, Dad. I don't mean to be ungrateful but I just want to be loved by you."

There was silence for many minutes, she grew nervous by the time and when she felt she was not going to hear the response she thought she would hear, she sighed.

"I love you Dad, no matter what, you will always be my Dad. I just wish you could put more effort to being my Dad."

She left his study and went back to her room, she felt a lot better now, having gotten it off her chest.

She called Aina'u immediately "How did it go?" Aina'u asked after they exchanged a brief pleasantry.

Amina laid on her bed "Well he did listen but he didn't say anything." Her eyes teared up but she didn't cry.

"Perhaps he needs more time, at least you have told him how you feel. In Shaa Allah everything will be fine between you too."

"I really hope so."

"So what about preparations for the graduation and prom night? Aina'u tried to change the topic.

"Nothing much to prepare for. The Fashion designer called earlier, she said she would send our dresses over tomorrow."

"I can not wait to try them on."

Amina rolled her eyes at her best friend's enthusiasm.

"It's in three days, you have nothing to worry about."

"Remember you are my date to Prom, don't let anyone take my position."

Amina laughed "Whatever! Do you want to come over to my place tomorrow? We can prepare for our speeches together."

"Of course! Will carry Junior along."

"Okay! Goodnight Bestie!"

"Goodnight Bestie!" Aina'u laughed before hanging up.

.............

The Speech and Prize giving day went quite well, Aina'u's Dad and Step Mum even attended. He had been nice to her ever since that day they talked, he was more affectionate than usual.

Junior was given many prizes as the overall student, Amina was extremely surprised when she came third and their Class representative came second.

They took pictures with their families, for Amina, it was really nice to have someone to call family. Her Step Mum was also starting to be nice at her, she made her breakfast that morning and it meant alot to Amina.

The next evening, they got ready for their Prom night. Amina, Aina'u and Junior did not stay long as they were not really enjoying it. They preferred to be at their home, having fun all by themselves. Their Dad was not surprised to meet them home instead of them being at the Prom night.

Amina told him about going to see her Mum, he was happy for her and encouraged her to hear what her Mum had to say.

"I was thinking of going tomorrow." She informed everyone.

"I will call my Uncle later and have him set out the meeting."

Aina'u smiled at her "Don't worry, we will certainly be there for you."

"If you want, I can also tag along." Their Dad stated.

"No need, Uncle. Since my Uncle will also be there, I wouldn't like you to go through the stress."

He waved me off "It's no stress of course but if that's fine with you, it's okay."

She smiled at him "Thank you for everything!"

He shook his head "I should be thanking you, you have helped me and my family so much."

Amina smiled, knowing that his family had helped her much more than he thought.

.......

The next day, Amina was so nervous about meeting her Mum. She slept the night at their Aina'u's, she called her Uncle the previous night and let him know of her plans. He agreed immediately and was happy she was finally ready.

The ride was quiet, Aina'u and Junior talked once in a while then go back to their phones. Amina kept thinking about what to say when she meets her Mum. She was so nervous.

"Uncle, does she know we are coming?"

He shook his head, his eyes on the road "I didn't tell her about you, just said I would be coming to visit her."

"Okay!" She swallowed. She could not believe that her Mum lived in the same State as she did, when her Uncle informed her. They were an hour drive away but still, she couldn't believe it.

Why didn't she come for me?

She swallowed and kept the thought out 0f her head. She couldn't afford to break down just yet, she had been planning for this moment a long time ago.

"And we are here!" Her Uncle announced as he pulled into a stop in front of a big mansion. He parked properly and told her they would be ready whenever she was.

She didn't expect them to arrive that soon, it felt like only five minutes when they started their journey.

She turned to Aina'u "I am scared. I don't know whether I would be able to face the truth."

Aina'u placed her hand on her shoulder in support "Whatever decision you make, we are with you."

She glanced at Junior who nodded in support.

She turned back and breathed in and out.

I can do this!

She assured herself and stepped out of the car.

The security guard let them in after her Uncle told them who he was. The mansion was really beautiful and homely.

Her Uncle led them, they passed by a garden and Amina stopped in her tracks when she saw a small girl of probably six years and another boy of eight years playing with a cat.

"Khalid, I told you to watch over your Sister not encourage her to play with the cat." That was her Mum's voice, she froze upon hearing the voice she had l