CHAPTER 17: FAMILY REUNION

"Should I tell the cook to serve dinner?" Amina tried to cheer them up.

"I'm not hungry." Junior said and stood up.

"I will be in my room, Dad."

"You should try to rest, Junior. It might seem like time will stop but don't let that stop you from praying for her. I will come get you when it's time for prayer so that we can announce it at the Masjid."

He nodded "Okay Dad!" And he left.

"I will stay here for a bit, you can go ahead and have dinner." Their Dad told Amina.

She nodded and headed to the kitchen to get dinner for her and Aina'u.

.............

The next morning, as early as 6 a.m, guests flooded the house like a swarm of bees. Aina'u was a bit better, though her face was still swollen.

"Thank you for staying! I have no idea how to face Mum's family. None of them showed up throughout her time battling for her life. And now after her death, they will come pretending to be sad."

Amina pulled her into another hug "I promise to be there for you through out your hard times as you did during mine. We are all in this together."

Aina'u hugged her back "I am more worried about Junny. He didn't even get to say goodbye, I hope his guilt don't do bad to him."

"Well... he saw her yesterday morning."

Her eyes widen "What? I mean are you serious?"

Amina nodded affirmatively "When I went for my session with the Doc, I saw him outside the hospital. It seems he goes there all the time but didn't have the courage to go in to see her. At first, he didn't want to but eventually he did. I went with him."

Aina'u smiled widely "Alhamdulillah! Thank you so much Amina. Everything seems to fall in place with you around. "

Amina shook her head "It's all thanks to Allah, the Almighty."

There was a knock on the door and the older house help opened the door.

"Good morning Miss! The guests are asking for you. Your Dad said to get you."

"Good morning Hajia! Will be there in a bit."

"I am so sorry for your loss. May she get the peace she deserves."

"Ameen! Thank you!"

Both ladies were already dressed and ready to face the world. They walked downstairs and met the house filled with family and friends. An whole hour went by and pleasantries were still exchanged.

"We just have to keep praying for her. May her soul rest in perfect peace." One of their Aunt said.

"Ameen!"

"So what are the preparations for the three days?" Her oldest step grandmum asked.

Amina shrugged "We haven't decided anything yet."

She didn't mean to be disrespectful but she couldn't help but reply that way when she had other things in mind.

Another guest came in wailing like a cat, Aina'u recognized her youngest Aunt whom always taunted their Mum and the rudest of them all.

"I can't believe my beloved Sister is gone. Oh Allah! She suffered so much." Sumayya kept wailing, if Aina'u didn't know better she would think she was being sincere.

She was quite sure that all of them were happy with her Mum gone. That was how bad that family was. Aina'u couldn't understand how much hatred they had for her Mum when she did nothing but love them to the best of her abilities.

"Aina'u, I am so sorry for your loss. May Allah forgive all her shortcomings."

"Ameen!" She didn't force a smile out nor did she pretend to be happy to see them.

"I couldn't come with the kids, you know we are far away and the stress would be too much for them. In fact, I can't stay long."

"It's okay." She whispered.

Amina was in the kitchen supervising breakfast and helped out to serve the guests. She checked her phone, no missed call nor reply to her messages.

She sighed "Have anyone started taking care of the men outside?"

"No Miss!"

"Can you please handle that Hajia?"

Hajia smiled "Of course!"

The whole day was pretty stressful and sorrowful. Most friends left by evening and the family remained behind. All of their Mum's Sisters and their children filled the house, including their husbands and Step grandmums.

Amina told Aina'u about leaving but Aina'u begged her to stay one more night with them. She hesitated at first seeing the atmosphere of the house but later gave in.

Dinner was extremely awkward as they all stayed in the living room and a few in the dining area.

"Your Mum is really going to be missed." Jummai, her Mum's oldest Sister and the first born of their GrandFather.

Aina'u didn't say anything and kept looking at her Mum's pictures on her phone. She knew for a fact that everything that came out of their mouth was a lie, they didn't show them any love nor care when their Mum was still alive, so there was no reason to believe that they would do that now.

She was glad Junior wasn't downstairs with them, he often made it clear of how much he couldn't tolerate their pretense.

"When is Brother Suleiman coming anyways?" Ummi, the last born of the family asked. She was the most quiet amongst them, Aina'u heard from their Mum that she didn't meddle in the affairs of the family and preferred to be alone. She got married a few years ago and was heavy with her baby. Her husband was rubbing her back as she was sitted on the cushion.

"He should be getting here anytime soon, he told me his morning flight was delayed." Sumayya shrugged. She didn't leave as she had said before, her Mother told her to stay and leave the next day.

And as if the earth heard their request, there was a knock on the door and Suleiman walked in with his wife and two kids. He was coolest, kindest and 2nd born of the Father.

Upon seeing him, Aina'u ran to hug him. She had missed him so much, the last time she was him was when he came to visit their Mum at the hospital before they left Abuja.

"My baby girl! How are you doing?" He smiled at her.

"I'm fine Uncle. I have missed you so much."

"I have missed you more, my dear. And sorry for your loss, don't forget that we will always be here for you."

"Thank you Uncle!"

She exchanged pleasantries with her Aunt and the kids.

Her Uncle first went to greet his Mother and Step-Mother in the dining area. Aina'u's Dad was also there so he talked with him for a bit before he moved to the living room where his sisters were.

They all exchanged pleasantries and he took a seat with his wife while his children were sent to the living room upstairs where all the other kids and their older ones were dining.

"I am seeing a new face here!" Suleiman stated catching sight of Amina whom was sitted quietly beside Aina'u.

Aina'u answered him "She's my best friend. I told her to spend the night, she's been helping me around."

"Oh really! Nice to meet you dear." He smiled at her.

"Same here Uncle!" Amina replied with a smile.

"Where is Junior?"

"He is in his room."

Suleiman sighed "I bet he has it worse. I will go check up on him." He stood up and Aina'u guided him towards the room.