Chapter 6

"I'm kidding!" Harry laughs loudly. "You're my best friend, and only that. My dad just doesn't get us."

"Yeah..." I nod, laughing softly. "I think I'm going to go take my shower now." With that, I get out of the pool, dry myself off, then go back into the house.

I rush upstairs and into the bathroom. I have a headache, and I feel nauseous. I just feel so terrible all of a sudden. In a sense, I am happy Harry isn't in love with me. Who could ever fall in love with me? If he and I tried to be more than friends, our whole friendship would be put at risk. I don't want to lose him, but I cannot deny the feeling of sadness looming over me. You should never joke about being in love with someone. I am feeling so much. I am feeling so many things I have never felt before. Do I have feelings for Harry? How could I even tell? I don't want to think about it. Why did he have to go and mess with my head like that?

I undress myself and step into the shower, letting my thoughts overtake me even more. Honestly, I have never thought of Harry in any way other than a friend. But one little statement from him about us being in love, and now I am questioning everything. If I didn't feel anything towards him, would it be bothering me this much? I love him. I know that. He is attractive and intelligent and sweet and hilarious. Why wouldn't I have feelings for him? I don't know what I feel. This shouldn't be happening.

I wash my hair and bathe my body thoroughly before shaving. I try so hard to clear my mind, but all of my attempts are unsuccessful. Once I am rinsed off and ready to get out, I turn the water off and dry myself off. My mood gets a little better when I remember that we are going to our favorite restaurant back when Harry and I were teenagers. I am pretty hungry, and everything I have ever had from there was absolutely perfect.

I walk into the room, and Harry is sitting down on the edge of the bed fumbling with his hands. He seems to be in deep thought, so I wait a second before speaking to him.

"You can shower now," I whisper and go over to my suitcase to pick out an outfit for this evening.

"What's wrong, Eden?"

"Nothing, why?"

"You are acting weird."

"I just have a bad headache," I mumble.

"Do you need some Advil? I can go get you s-"

"No, thank you. You can go shower."

"Okay," he snaps and goes into the bathroom, slamming the door behind him, causing me to recoil.

I drop to the ground and the tears flow out. Why in the hell am I crying? Nothing even happened. Harry just made some stupid joke in the pool, and now I am being a completely oversensitive, overemotional mess, letting my confusion and my overwhelming thought get the best of me. I am too delicate for my own good, and I hate it.

I don't know what's wrong with me. Harry is my best friend. I just need to take his little joke with a grain of salt just like I take all of his other ones. I need to stop crying and get myself dressed. Everything is fine.

_

A couple of hours later, Des, Harry, and I are all three seated in an adorable, quaint booth at the restaurant. It isn't busy tonight, so the noise is pretty exiguous.

"Hi, I'm Chase," a very tall, handsome young man with the brightest blue eyes I have ever seen smiles at us. "Can I get you guys any beverages?"

"I will have a glass of water," I say, blushing at the way his eyes linger on me. I am sure it is just wishful thinking.

"Make that two," Des states.

"Make it three, then, I guess," Harry says dryly. Is he mad at me?