Chapter 3

i attached a picture of whom i picture Eden as. her instagram is: @ katerinaberezhna :-)

TWO WEEKS LATER/THANKSGIVING BREAK:

Fourteen days have gone by a lot quicker than I had expected. My nerves kicked in yesterday morning, and they have not subdued since.

"Are you ready?" Harry closes the trunk of his black Cadillac. "Do you have absolutely everything?"

"Looks like it." I smile, and we both climb into the car.

"Can you get the GPS set up while I'm driving?" he questions anxiously.

"You need the GPS to drive back to your old house in Flagstaff?"

"It helps with the anxiety. My mind is all jumbled up right now."

"Oh," I say quietly. "Everything will be fine. Your father said he will give you a day of space to get settled in—mentally and physically. I'm going to be here for you the whole time."

"Your parents don't mind you coming with me?"

"They don't know yet. I'm sure they won't mind. We'll go see them next break." I shrug. "Let's just get the GPS set up, put a Rolling Stones CD in, and have an amazing road trip."

"Sounds great." He releases a long breath of relief.

______________________

It is a quarter past four when we pull up to Harry's dad's rustic, mountain home in our old neighborhood. Memories flash through my mind. Images of Harry and I sitting down near the massive stone fireplace in his house at age fourteen appear, and I feel a warm, joyous feeling take over. I turn to look over at Harry. He is staring at the house with an indistinguishable gaze. I need to know what he's thinking, what he's feeling. I grasp his hand gently and tell him that he can do this.

A moment later, we finally get out of his car and grab our luggage from the trunk. The wooden deck of the house is clean, and the lights above us are on; his father has been anticipating this visit. He loves Harry so much. I'm so glad Harry decided to do this. His mom would have wanted this, and I think he knows that.

"It feels like the walls around us are caving in on me," Harry grimaces. "I don't think I am ready."

"I know you are." I try to make my voice as soothing and reassuring as possible. "C'mon."

He inhales deeply, nods his head, and knocks on the front door. I would have walked straight into my parent's home, but I know that the circumstances are different with Harry.

The door opens, and Harry's father takes us in, a smile overtaking his expression and tears welling up in his eyes. It's been at least a year since they've seen each other. Harry has kept his distance in an attempt to not feel any more grief. He lost his mother though. Grief is inevitable, but so is his healing. He is so unaware of his resilience.

"Hi, Dad." Harry tries to smile.

"Harry." He opens the door wider so we can come in. "I have missed you so much." He embraces Harry in his arms once the door is closed.

"I've missed you, too." Harry tightens his lips and looks away from his emotional father. "If you don't mind, I'd- I'd like to go up to my old room and uh..."

"Of course. I understand, son. You go and take as much time as you need. I'll be downstairs cooking your favorite supper."

"Thanks," Harry speaks breathily and ascends upstairs to his old bedroom.

"Thank you for letting me come, Mr. Styles," I say politely.

"I think you're old enough now to call me Des." He radiates appreciation, his blueish-green eyes glistening. "I never thought Harry would come this year. Or the next for that matter. You have always been the best thing for him. You have never left his side, and for that I cannot express my gratitude. You are family, Eden, and you are welcome here always."