Chapter 17

I sit in my room for about an hour, waiting patiently yet anxiously for Harry to come over. He may not even show up, but the possibility of it keeps me awake. I hear a knock on my front door, and my heart leaps out of my chest.

I race to the door and look into the peephole. When I see Harry, my muscles loosen and I feel less panicked. I open the door and let him in. He looks a lot more calm and collected. I hug him immediately.

"Hey," he murmurs and wraps his arms around my body, filling me with solace and consolation. "I am so sorry for showing up at Dax's house like that. I should not have been so hostile. I was just enraged when I saw that picture Dax posted of the two of you, and then when I found out he lied to you to hurt you, I just lost it. Dax is a really shitty person. I shouldn't have hit him, but I was angry and wanted you away from him before he hurt you worse."

"I understand completely," I say quietly as he releases me.

"Thank you for not jumping to conclusions like I did last night. Thank you for trusting me and communicating with me. We can really do this together."

"Of course."

"So what all did Dax say? I want to clear everything up for you so you know the truth and you don't have any insecurities with us."

I fold my arms over my chest, exasperated. "Well, he basically told me that you and Becca were a thing, and that you were hooking up with her. He said that you were with Becca when I thought you were doing schoolwork. After you told me the truth, though, I felt bad for even slightly entertaining the idea of that. I am really sorry I didn't listen to you about him."

"My God, I love you so much." He rubs his temples. "It drives me crazy."

"You drive me crazy," I breathe, curling my lips up slightly. He is so cute when he is frazzled.

He leans into me and kisses my lips softly.

"Harry," I whisper against his lips. "We can't do this."

"What?" He furrows his brows. "Why? What do you mean?"

"Can't you see? Right after we started trying to be more than friends, everything kept getting so complicated and confusing. We started to argue more and trust each other less. We have not been ourselves lately. I think we need to stop all of...this," I wave my hands around in he air. "We need to stop kissing and going out together. We need to go back to how we used to be."

"I- I can't." He shakes his head, visibly hurt. "I don't want to. I want you. I love you."

"I love you, too. You and I both know that we are not meant to be anything other than friends, though."

"How do you know what we're meant to be?" Harry raises his voice, backing away from me. "This is you taking the easy way out. Say we do go back to being just friends. You do realize that our friendship will never be the same, right? We have done a lot of things that friends just don't do together. Could you take seeing me kiss or hold another girl? That wouldn't hurt you or make you completely enraged? I sure as hell know if you were to do shit like that with another guy, I would be heartbroken and livid. Of course I want you in my life in any way that I can, and if I have to settle for being your friend, then I will. But I can't live without you. I want more than friendship. Nobody else makes me happy, Eden. Nobody else sets my soul on fire and makes me love like you do. Think about it, please. Do you really want to be just friends? Don't take the easy way out. I am not doing it. Do you want to know why? Because you are worth it to me. Am I worth it to you? I know you want me. Give me another chance. I will show you that this is the right decision. I am so in love with you. I want us to work. Please..." He looks helpless, utterly fraught and desperate for me.

"I seriously don't know what to do." I frown. "Could you please leave and give me the night to think about it, okay? I tend to not make the most rational decisions when you're near me."

I cannot tell if my statement makes him angry or sad. Both, perhaps. Either way, it hurts me too. It is like I am fighting myself. Do I really want to be alone right now? Do I really want Harry to leave? No, I do not.

Maybe instead of pushing him away, what I really need is him closer to me than ever before. I reach out and grasp his hands, looking up into his beautiful, bright green eyes.

"I don't want you to leave because I need to think about an answer. I am just exhausted and want to go to sleep."

"So you already have an answer?" He fidgets with his fingers.

I nod.

"Well? Are you going to give us another chance?"

"I will. I love you too much not to."

Harry kisses my head and picks me up bridal style. He brings me to my bedroom and lays me out on the bed. With carefulness and leisure, he peels my clothes off until I am in only my underwear and bra. My heart is racing. I have no clue what he is doing. To my surprise, he takes his shirt off and slips it on me with an adorable smile on his face, causing me to relax.

"There." He kisses the bottom of my leg. "You look so good in my shirt. Can I sleep with you tonight? We don't have to talk. I just don't want to go home and be away from you tonight."

"I would actually like that a lot," I breathe, "and you already are home."

"True." He kisses me gently, and we crawl under the covers and get cozy. "Home is wherever you are. I love you, Eden."

"I love you," I whisper and hold him against my body, and just like that, we fall asleep unintended.

_______________

a/n:

pls comment and vote 4 this chapter!!! and add it to ur reading lists!! i love seeing the different lists this story gets put on :p