Chapter 11

the question is: did i proofread??
the answer is: no.

_____

About an hour later, I am surprised to find that I have actually been having a lot of fun here. Harry and I are sitting down with his friends in the living room. Sean and Alan are getting high, Bryson is getting more and more wasted by the minute, but Dax seems to be completely sober like Harry and me. All we are currently doing is talking and joking around.

"So are you and Harry, like, a thing?" Dax asks me out of the blue.

"No," Harry says briskly, not wasting a second.

I force an artificial smile to mask the painful sting in my chest. I know we're not together, but he seemed to really reject the idea in front of all his friends. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it bothers me nonetheless.

"Well, do you have a boyfriend?" Dax looks into my eyes, and somehow I feel like he is not like the rest of the guys at this party.

It is comforting, and quite frankly, it is the only thing distracting me from the brutal answer Harry gave to Dax's question.

"No." I shake my head.

"That's a surprise." Dax raises his eyebrows. "How come I've never seen you before tonight?"

"This is my first party." Probably my last, too.

"And are you enjoying it so far?" Alan jumps in the conversation, a cloud of smoke escaping his mouth as he exhales. He smells like weed, and his eyes are red. "Isn't my place nice?"

"Uh, yeah." I laugh, answering both questions at once. "Parties aren't that bad, and your place really is nice."

"I live a very high-class life." He chuckles loudly. "Get it? High?"

"That was dope, man," Sean high-fives him. "Get it? Dope?"

I can't help when I burst out into a fit of excessive laughter with everyone else. It isn't even that funny, but the way they are acting is so hilarious and entertaining. We are all very amused, and Dax scoots closer to me.

"Hey, Eden," he murmurs. "I just wanted to let you know that I think it's really awesome that you don't get drunk or stoned and go to parties every weekend like most girls around here."

"Thank you," I say. "That is extremely sweet of you to say even though I would rather not be complimented at the expense of other women. I think it is awesome that you don't behave like that either."

"I've only been to a few parties before this one, and I don't drink or do drugs."

"Last week-"

"Eden," Harry interrupts me. "I'm getting tired. I think it's time to go."

"So soon?" Dax frowns and then turns back to me. "I was hoping to get to know you a little more."

"I'm sorry." I shrug. "I thought we were going to stay longer."

"Well, what's your number?" He turns his phone on, and Harry sighs as I give Dax my phone number.

He puts it into his phone and saves it quickly before Harry practically drags me out of Alan's house, eagerly attempting to leave.

"Why are we going so soon?" I inquire once he and I are both in the car.

"Fuck!" he shouts and punches his steering wheel. "God damn." After he says this, his eyes water up and tears begin to stream out.

"Harry," I exclaim. I lean over and wrap my arms around him. "What's wrong? Did I do something?"

"No." He wipes his eyes and starts his car. "Dax was trying to fucking make a move on you in front of me. I wanted to kick his fucking ass."