Shigure smirked cheekily, and leant his elbow on the armrest of the chair. Hatori ignored his smirk and looked elsewhere, continuing to sip from the cup to put on a front as if he hadn't wondered about the blue-haired girl the past few days.

He didn't know why she occupied his mind so much. He had spent days on end trying to focus on work but it was hard for him to get anything done when all he saw was her face. Her blue-constellation eyes that never left his mind even when he shut his eyes to sleep.

Maybe he was going crazy.

"Well I guess you could say she's improving. I wasn't sure how she was like when she still lived with her family, but she seems to be opening up a little bit. A little less timid, you'd say."

Shigure's eyes widened as he noticed the corner of Hatori's lips lift upwards at his response with his purple orbs softened. This drew him to silence. It was rare to see his fellow friend smile, but for this occasion, he'd done it so naturally.

This was definitely interesting, he thought.

"It's totally Tohru-kun's influence. Gotta be." Shigure added.

Hatori agreed. "I can imagine her influencing her. She has a knack for it. I'm glad she's slowly getting better."

A carefree expression plastered Shigure's face. "You know after I accidentally picked on Kyo-kun the other day, he came home with Tohru-kun and he was back to normal." A strand of his bangs fell into his eye as he slightly lifted his shoulders. "She's basically their tranquilliser."

"You sure look satisfied. Things are going just how you planned them," Hatori shut his eyes once again and criticised him.

"What's with the criticism I'm detecting here?" The Dog spirit pouted.

"Like hell you're not using her, you bald-faced liar."

Shigure immediately stopped pouting and turned to face his friend seriously.

"You and Akito are both using Honda-kun as a pawn to play for your respective ends and gains. Just as what you both are doing with Ichika."

Silence enveloped the both of them as heavy tension was raised in the air.

Shigure let out a big sigh and leaned back.

"I thought you knew already that I'm not bothered about deceiving and using people to get what I want."

Shigure's response made Hatori be the one to sigh this time. This side of him was what Hatori disliked most.

Seeing his friend's reaction, Shigure added, "I do feel bad sometimes though. Especially when I'm looking at Ichika-chan and Tohru-kun. They're a little too pure for me." He then smiled sadly. "Sometimes they make me realise I might be the dirtiest of all of us."

Hatori didn't know how to respond, so he kept quiet. He glanced down at the tea cup that rested in his hands on his lap and watched as the liquid swirled in the centre. He could see his reflection in it, a sullen expression remained on his face.

He placed his hand on her head and kneeled to the ground with a solemn look. He was in pain, but she was in more pain.

"I'm sorry.." She started as she touched his bandaged eye. Her head was lowered and her exhausted eyes remained looking at the ground. "That I.. couldn't protect you."

His eyes widened.

It was the first time in a while that Kana was able to make out a few sentences without breaking down. Though, it wasn't anything he hoped hear. It was an apology. An apology for something that wasn't ever her fault.

But he didn't know how to tell her, to convince her. Because she was already gone.

"I'm sorry.." He listened to her as she cried. Hiccuping her words and struggling her sentences. "I'm sorry, Hatori."

His heart broke into a thousand pieces at her words. Holding back his tears, he squeezed his eyes shut and within a moment a surge of power travelled down his arm, to his palm and to the tips of his fingers.

She fell backwards in that same moment and laid in the snow, the head wrapping had completely become undone as she rested. The look on her unconscious face no longer had the sorrowful look.

She looked more at peace now.

"Tohru is a good girl. She's got a gentle heart and a kind soul, and really looks passed your scars. On the other hand, believe it or not, Ichika can be very honest despite how timid and enclosed she is. But she really makes you open your eyes from how perceptive she is. I mean, last time she straight up told me I really know how to pour salt into people's wounds. And I've only known her for a couple of days!"

Hatori let out a breath and didn't notice the smile festering on his lips. "Well, that is true."

Shigure gasped dramatically and pouted. He playfully scolded Hatori for agreeing with her. After a few minutes, he calmed down and resumed the topic.

"Though, I have to say I'm jealous of you. Maybe I'm the most cursed of all."

"Sensei, Akito-sama is ready for his check up." A maid's voice interrupted from the other side of the door.

Shigure immediately jumped to his feet with a joyful expression and he raised his hand in the air as if to say pick me!

"Okay, Doctor, I'll go and perform a great job as your substitute!"

Saluting, the Dog spirit quickly made his escape out of Hatori's clinic and disappeared within a flash. Hatori shook his head and sighed.

Of course he'd want to go see Akito as soon as he could.

Hatori glanced down at his slender hand and stared deeply at his palm, outlining the creases.

"My hands.. are dirty, too." He quietly muttered, lifting his hand and covering his left eye, the one that had been damaged by the person they called God.

After all, the power he had to erase memories was never a gift. It was a curse.

And a burden to have.

* * *

Yay! I managed to put out three chapters in a row! I just thought one of the new chapters didn't have much content, and I wanted to push the storyline a bit and quicken up the pace. I don't know.. maybe I'm overthinking it but I think the pace of my storyline is a bit.. slow?

Hm, whatever.

I hope you guys like this chapter!

Please vote when you can! <3

- Eoraiv