Chapter 2

3rd Person POV

Wei Ying woke up in a very bright and disorienting room. The walls were all immaculately white and the throbbing in his head was worsened by annoying beeping noises. Three worried faces stared down at him as he led on a slightly uncomfortable bed.

He sat up and winced. Perhaps another bad decision. Seeing his pain, Wen Qing passed the baby to Wen Ning and sat Wei Ying up properly.

"I don't even know where to start with you." She sighed, already aware that whatever she was about to say would be ignored. "Perhaps don't get yourself killed. You have other responsibilities."

Wei Ying looked on. 

"Hehe... yeah, sorry. Where am I?"

"The hospital?"

"I figured. How did I get here?"

"You decided to be a hero and neglect your own safety in preference of someone else's. I got a call last night from the police saying you fainted on scene from severe blood loss after carrying a sixty kilo man halfway across the city."

"Oh... Sorry. Do you mind looking after A-Yuan again today, I need to go and find a job?"

"No I don't mind but you will most definitely not be looking for a job today - look at the state of you. I don't care about your pride, you and A-yuan can come and stay with Wen Ning and I whilst you find a job. Don't worry about the bills, we will pay off all of your debts and then you can pay us back when you have enough money."

Wei Ying was about to protest but suddenly an unfamiliar figure walked in. He was extremely handsome - tall with big eyes and prominent features, his mouth settled into a natural resting smile and his short black hair was perfectly styled. he was wearing a cream turtle-neck jumper and a dark grey blazer that was perfectly tailored to fit his chiselled body.

Noticing the confused look of Wei Ying's face, he introduced himself.

"Good Morning Wei Wuxian! Nice to meet you I am Lan Xichen, Lan Wangji's brother."

He smiled and looked calm and content. Seeing more confusion on Wei Ying's face he answered Wei Ying's unspoken question.

"Who's Lan Wangji? Oh, Wangji is the man you saved yesterday. By the way thank you for that. You are unlikely to hear it directly from the man himself, but I know he is very grateful to you for selflessly endangering yourself for him."

Wei Ying was uncertain what to say because what do you say in these instances: 'yes, actually I am super amazing aren't I, thank you for noticing' or 'no no, this is just my regular Tuesday evening'. Instead of either of those responses he just responded with, "Oh. You're welcome?" , which didn't quite have the same level of originality but would suffice.

The silence stretched on for a bit longer. Ordinarily Wei Ying would have encouraged the conversation more but in his current predicament he was still a bit uncertain of why this man was talking to him.

"I suppose I would also like to say, is there any way I - we - can repay you for your efforts?"

Wei Ying muttered under his breath - "Not unless you can get me a well paying stable job."

"Sorry, I didn't quite catch that,"said Lan Xichen."What did you say?"

"Oh no, its nothing. Sorry. I was just saying how you don't need to repay me. I didn't save your brother expecting to be repaid for my efforts. Actually, I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving and knowing I had left a man to pretty much just die there. Its no great achievement or moral message, I just selfishly felt bad for being a rubbish person and not helping." Wei Ying word vomited at Lan Xichen.

Xichen laughed finding Wei Wuxian cute and amusing - he thought the man would be a perfect match for his cold brother. Wei Ying halfheartedly laughed as well not fully aware of whether he was being laughed at or whether he was funny...

"In an odd way, I think you compliment my brother perfectly! For such an intelligent person I am sorry for the fact he struggles to articulate emotionally. You know, my brother needs a new secretary if you feel like applying." Hinted Lan Xichen having perhaps heard Wuxian's request for a job.

"Uhhh... I appreciate the thought Mr. Lan but I have no qualifications. Also, I don't know how to be a secretary." Responded Wei Ying, secretly grateful for the job opening but pessimistic due to his lack of knowledge in the area.

"I'm sure you'd pick it up fast enough. Why don't you just apply anyway, what's the worst that can happen?"

--------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading! Please share any opinions or comments you have as they are super helpful for me to improve my writing! I hope you like this lighthearted writing style as much as the more serious one from my other work. Please vote!